Fly Tying
vicrider

In danger of losing this forum section...

I'm one of the persons that has the bad habit of being late I do them early put them on the desk and forget about them.. this last swap  caddis is the first time I completely for got about it and I felt really bad . I made a goal for my self to get flies out as soon as there done and step up and start hosting a swap or two this fall/winter

Steve-stabgnid 

On 7/23/2021 at 7:53 PM, vicrider said:

Okay, I'm glad there is some optimistic responses on this thread. I tend to be a pessimist I admit and I hope this is just the swap forum taking a breather with all that has been going on the last year. Now that things are open again and people catching up an often wasted year the swaps will rebound resoundingly this fall and winter and I will take a big sigh of relief that this great forum is still going strong.

I’m really really hoping you do the Christmas swap again! That was so awesome in the past! 

FWIW, weather is cooling by a few degrees. I need to take inventory of materials, etc. and tie in anticipation of fishing in the future. Local trout streams have been running a bit warm so fishing for many is on hold. Again,I will monitor the sawp and see what I can contribute.

I have been wanting to host another swap, as it's been quite a while for me. I have one in mind, but it's more of a bass fly swap so I'm thinking I'll put out the call next spring. 

2 hours ago, Bryon Anderson said:

I have been wanting to host another swap, as it's been quite a while for me. I have one in mind, but it's more of a bass fly swap so I'm thinking I'll put out the call next spring. 

I’d get in on that. If you wait for spring you’ll find many guys are fishing and not tying. Best time for participation is usually fall/winter

53 minutes ago, Flatsflytying said:

I’d get in on that. If you wait for spring you’ll find many guys are fishing and not tying. Best time for participation is usually fall/winter

53 minutes ago, Flatsflytying said:

good point -- maybe late Feb. - early March 2022 then

5 hours ago, Bryon Anderson said:

I'll keep my eyes open!

Kim

Unfortunately International postage and missing flies stopped me joining swaps. 

It was a brilliant way for me to improve my tying and consistency and I will be hoping to join the Christmas swap this year if I get enough notice with international postage taking so long. 

I've been here a long time.  I only drop in about once a week now and lurk more than post.  That's my bad.  This place was a hay day for swaps.  It was great.  You could check the site and choose from half a dozen swaps.  It was a great way to explore out of your comfort zone.  I'd pick a swap that challenged me, that would make me a better tyer, even if I knew I may never use those flies.  Everyone has their reason for joining.  Maybe to fill the fly box, to learn something new, they just love tying flies, the fellowship of the short termed tying group, etc...

I think it is expected for events like this to eventually wain and fall off a bit.  Easy access social media has not helped the forum model either.  I am a member of another small and more focused traditional fly fishing forum.  We still enjoy swaps with good response and responsibility.  But, I think it is easier when the group is quite tight knit and shares the same fly fishing interest as the others.  

I still remember my favorite fly swap on this forum.  It was a challenge.  It was the Royal Swap.  Any version of the Royal Coachman.  That swap taught me how to tie in matched slip wings for wets flies.  Another favorite was the Tom Nixon Warmwater Pattern Swap.  I learned how to tie exactly 56 rubber legs onto one fly with the Calcaseau Pigboat.   I like to tie and challenge myself with new techniques.  Swapping can become a "process" and a product of the "same ol' thing"  if you just enter what your comfortable with.  This leads to lack of excitement in swapping.

I used to join swaps here all the time (and led quite a bit).  Sometimes 2-3 at a time.  Now not so much now.  With less time to do swaps, I have become a bit picky and want that challenge or something different.  Maybe it is time to re-think the traditional swap and brainstorm other ways to swap.  I still love the Santa Swap!  It is different than the norm, offers a surprise return and you can challenge yourself to tie something special for someone.  

Although I am not as active as I was, I would hate to see this forum or swap thread lost.  It is such a great opportunity to learn, see others creations and bond with others in this forum.  I met a great friend on this forum (Bob Nelson). We have exchanged flies, items, and met a couple times in person to share a slice of Marionberry pie.  You can't put a value on that!  This site and forum section has good bones, it helps hold the Fly Tying Forum together.

My 2 cent rambling.

Carl

I would start by saying I love to host, and swap.

I would be interested in what everyone's ideas are to improve this section and bring life back to it. I have hosted a bunch over the years and when doing so i will add extra items to the swap to try entice other to join, not sure if that actually helps or not but i have given some cool stuff away.

Shipping has been a challenge for sure. Is there a way, that isn't to expensive, to have tracking on every package?

I also think as fall and winter roll onto us more people will be tying. This is the time of year I start stocking boxes back up.

CCW

I'm a member of 3 other fly fishing/tying sites.  Of the 4 total, this one has the most active swap section by far.  One site (my original) is a dying site where the swaps were active and often with multiple fine hosts and now no one signs up anymore.  One has not offered a swap in ~4 years now and the third hadn't had a swap in 2 years and I've run 4 successful swaps trying to revive the swaps on that site.  The swaps here died because they had two problems - 1) swappers had a habit of signing up then nothing! and 2) a couple HOSTS dropped off the face of the earth with the flies & postage!  One part of my success is that I have been targeting new members to the site - they don't know of the past problems.

I don't see the swaps dying here because we DO have several fine hosts and dropped swappers may happen but not to a high degree here.  Just keep the high standards for our hosts, keep up the control on the habitual (2 time) no shows, and keep the swaps fun and we'll be OK here.  Oh, I too, give small gifts to my swappers.

Kim

On 9/8/2021 at 9:05 AM, Old Hat said:

"  I met a great friend on this forum (Bob Nelson). We have exchanged flies, items, and met a couple times in person to share a slice of Marionberry pie.  You can't put a value on that!  '.

Ok Carl what is marionberry pie?