Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
danthebugman

Sunfish are on 🔥

My son and I headed out to a local creek here in SW Missouri yesterday morning for a few hours of fishing. The sunfish were tearing it up and we had a great day 🎣. Missed landing a couple of nice bass, but several of the green sunfish put a real nice bend in my 4 wt so I won't complain too much.

20210724_105709.jpg

20210724_093315.jpg

20210724_090206_HDR.jpg

20210724_090038.jpg

20210724_105303.jpg

20210724_091445.jpg

20210724_104426_HDR.jpg

20210724_110537.jpg

20210724_101638.jpg

20210724_094522_HDR.jpg

Almost a guarantee to catch something. The ones in the first photos look like what some call warmouth bass. No matter what, they are loads of fun to catch. I was looking at the pool in front of the young man. I would start fishing from downstream and cover the entire pool from one end to another. Looks fishy to me.

26 minutes ago, gillage said:

Feisty fish + 4wt = Fun !

I moved down to a 1wt (a 6'6" for tight spots, and an 8' for general use) for local pond panfish. It has been an absolute blast and even makes the smallest panfish a real fighter. 

1808539431_IMG_4837(1).jpg.40b3e2e5312abdd770c96d425aae4fcc.jpg

Love to fish with light fly tackle. About 22 years ago,  I built a 6 ft. 2 wt. for fishing the Great Smoky Mountains NP. It gets a regular workout in several small streams in East Tennessee.

On 7/25/2021 at 3:06 PM, skeet3t said:

Almost a guarantee to catch something. The ones in the first photos look like what some call warmouth bass. No matter what, they are loads of fun to catch. I was looking at the pool in front of the young man. I would start fishing from downstream and cover the entire pool from one end to another. Looks fishy to me.

There were several that looked to be green sunfish/bluegill/red-ear sunfish hybrids.  That pool wasn't there a couple weeks ago, but looks like some flooding took down a tree on the bank.  I like how creeks change from time to time as it gives a familiar place new character.  It was quite fishy!  We spent probably 45 minutes working through it trying to catch some of the bigger bass that were planted at the bottom by the root wad.

Yes, small streams can be interesting due to changes with rain and increased flow. My tailwater trout place has changed over the years. Twenty years ago,  I could wade down a long stretch and never get above mid-thigh. Two places made me get out and bypass two deep pools. Now,  I'm reluctant to even consider wading it. FWIW, fished a small creek in central KY. Wife caught a  nine inch orange-breasted sunfish out of a pool not much bigger than a bathtub! Gotta love those places!