Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

A question because of a Mike Chell post on Space

Was going to add this on there but Steve warned us back to topic and this would have been a big morph. I see a lot videos today taken I'm assuming with Go Pro cameras. Now I understand what Mike said about making casts look longer with a Go Pro. Seems like a person can be playing a fish 20' away, then lift his rod and net the fish. I'm used to that. What I wonder is why do all the rods not directly in the focus of the camera look like they're bent so much. I think there must be a fish pulling the rod down but it's just the way the camera makes it look. Is this with all Go Pros?

It's because of the rounded lens distorting objects that are closest to it. If the rod is out about 5ft away from the camera it looks straight like it should, but when its held within 3ft of the camera it distorts it. Happens to all Gopros because of the lens shape.

What Steve said.  GoPro cameras have wide-angle lenses to bring more of the subject into the frame.  But there are two disadvantages.

1. The closer the object is to the sides of the frame, the more distorted it is.

2. Distance is greatly exaggerated.  Something held 1 foot away from the camera looks like it's 2 feet away.  Something 2 feet away looks like it's 4.  by the time you're filming something that's 6 feet away, it looks like it's 10 or so.  If you watch any of my videos, it's quite evident, the distortions both side to side and distance.