Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

HMH Vise Question

I have a habit of perusing the various fly fishing/fly tying web sites from time to time to look for what's new and to see if there are any changes...which leads to the following question.

Looking at the HMH site I was wondering...What is the difference between the Spartan and Standard vises? They look so similar.

Cheers,
George

1 hour ago, Moshup said:

I believe the Spartan vise was very popular with the Greeks.

Can't believe I laughed at that.  

"the major difference being that the vise's head is a bit shorter and more compact" from the HMH site.

The base looks smaller on the Spartan too.

I have the Spartan is a bit smaller and do my main tying on it, works fine. I tie mostly from size 6- 8 down to 18. #4 works fine. Then I have the HMH tube fly vise as well that I enjoy. But that big brass wheel on it does not act like a flywheel as on some other vises on the market.

When I travel I still use my old India made vise and HMH tube fly adapter if I want tubes. I like to tie my grey and my green ghosts on tubes. Traditional tie otherwise with feathers, Jungle cock eyes and such and the fly separates off the hook sliding up the leader when the fish strikes bringing considerable more longevity to the tie with toothy salmon.