Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Handgun owners

Would like some feedback on handguns from those that own/carry. I go for my CPL permit next week, so plan to buy a handgun after that. I've been into guns my whole life, but always long guns, rifles/shotguns. So Handguns are somewhat new to me to a certain extent. So once I go get my CPL next week I'll be looking for a handgun that is concealable. I have been looking and have it narrowed  down I think to two, both Glock. One the Glock 26, the other the Glock 19x.

Any input on these or others ?

19X. I have run many rounds through one, not mine, BTW. Lots of police officers have them as their service sidearm. Take a class if one is available through a club or police department. The gunshops would have that info. Check your insurance policies to see how, and if, you are covered if involved in a shooting incident. This is one thing covered in our club's carry class.

I will start out by saying any of the major gun manufactures produce excellent firearms nowadays so you can’t go wrong with any of them. You will find fanatical devotion to certain brands that often defy logic but for normal folks the brand is often a preference just like a fishing rod as they all function and shoot fine.

I myself do not like the blockiness of glock pistols. I have a glock 23 that has not been removed from my gun safe in a few years. I tried to like it but I don’t. I have carried Smith and Wesson M&P’s for decades and I have attended the S&W academy armors schools. I currently carry the M&P shield .45. 

i do not like any sub compact class of pistol. They are simply to tiny for my hand. I prefer the compact sizes even though they are slightly less concealable and a little itty bit heavier. My frame is large so it makes up for it. I also prefer single stack magazines. Less rounds but more concealbility, less weight and less profile. 

For over 30 years I was a firearms instructor. It’s been my experience that new pistol shooters have a hard time in the accuracy department with Glocks. Since Glocks are good shooters I’ve always though it was the blockiness of them. Good shooters have no issue with this but weaker shooters are best served with something other than a Glock IMHO. 

These are my preferences which may differ from others. I conceal carry every day, Monday through Friday and have for over 3 decades. Good luck with your choice.

I wanted something very concealable but minimum 9mm. I ended up with a Beretta Nano. It's less than an inch thick and has smooth sides with nothing to hang up. It easily conceals in a wader pocket. I think it's similar size to the Glock 26, maybe a bit shorter. The grip is not what I would call comfortable, especially with the 6 shot magazine. But considering it's for emergency use I'm OK sacrificing some ergonomics. 

I have two carry guns. Which gun I carry depends on what I'm wearing.  Summer wear is usually when I carry my Sig P365, smaller and more concealable.

Winter time with jackets and heavier clothing, a Glock17

I don't carry concealed ... although I've got my permit.  Wife and I have several different brands of pistols in the house.  All I can recommend is, don't buy ANY pistol without having it in your hand first.  If you have a gun shop that lets you fire their brands, even better.  With your hand size, grips that most people find too large will likely fit you perfectly.

Again, if you've got a gun shop with trail firing range, have fun choosing a gun ... shoot 'em all.

Glocks and all the modern tupperware pistols are nice, but for every day carry, I still like a snubbie S&W. When fishing remote, or when baby and mama bears might surprise me, (or I might surprise them!) I carry a Springfield XD 45 compact.

Normal every day carry, usually a S&W snubbie.

Mike B

3 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

I just carry this, and it's always worked fine for me...

👉

I know where you conceal carry it…

I have a G19 that I like very much, but even though it’s compact, it’s not small and not suited for concealed carry most of the time in the South.  I typically go with my S&W air weight snubbie or S&W shield 9mm.  Can easily carry the snub nose in my front pocket , and it’s light enough to carry while wearing shorts as well.  Biggest thing is to get one you will actually carry and not leave in your vehicle because it’s not comfortable to carry.

I have carried a Glock 19, Kel-tec Pf-9, and Kel-tec P3AT for over 15 years (most commonly the Pf-9), but just changed to the Sig P365. Living in Florida I prefer pocket carry as works best with my standard attire.

Here is my opinion on what I have used:

Glock 19: Great gun and has been my IDPA competition gun going on 17 years. I love shooting it, but it is a bit larger than I want to carry in the Florida heat in an IWB holster on a regular basis. The 15+1 capacity makes it my go to when I want to carry a larger handgun. As others have mentioned some people do not take well to the Glock grip angle. This is the most comfortable gun to shoot. Usually carried in an MTAC IWB holster

Kel-tec P3AT: Smaller caliber at .380 ACP, but easily the most concealable of my choices. Usually carried when I am out running and has the side clip for waist band carry. Typically Kel-tec that needed some TLC to make it what I wanted with a melt job, ceramic coated slide, fiber optic front sight, and finger extensions on the magazines. Its small, lower capacity at 6+1, but has it's place with deep concealment. Not a fun gun to shoot. Carried in a Desantis Superfly Holster.

Kel-tec Pf-9: Was my daily carry gun the majority of the time. The slim frame provided easy pocket carry. The 7rd magazine with the finger extension and Hogue Jr grip make it manageable, but it does have a good snap to it, especially with 124gr. +p ammunition. Not the most fun to shoot. As with the P3AT, Kel-tecs need a "fluff and buff" to maximize them. It also got a melt job, ceramic coating, and fiber optic front sight. Before the explosion of slim frame 9mm's it fit the bill and did a good job for many years. Carried in either a Desantis Superfly holster for pocket carry, or MTAC IWB.

So far the P365 has replaced all of my other carry guns. I keep the 12rd magazine in the gun as it provides good capacity and also lengthens the grip enough to get a full grip on the gun  while still being short enough for pocket carry. Magguts has a replacement magazine spring and follower that allows for an extra 2 rounds in the 10 and 12 round magazines making the 12 round magazine capable of a 14+1 capacity that is directly comparable to the Glock 19 at 15+1. A 15 round magazine is also available as well. The standard P365 version comes stock with X-ray night sights installed and a rail is available for a laser or light if required. The Desantis Superfly pocket holster works great, stays in the pocket, and eliminates the profile of a firearm. I also have an IWB and OWB holster for it as well, but the Superfly is used most.

Biggest thing I can recommend is training. And not just straight static range training. Set it up the way you plan on carrying it, and also a spare magazine if you choose to carry one. Practice your draw, low light, abnormal positions, gun handling, malfunctions, reloading, and include movement as well into all of it. If available in your area, attend an IDPA  (International Defensive Pistol Association) or IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation) match. The stages in these matches allow for different types of environments and also add a bit of stress not normally found just shooting at a static range.

thumbnail_IMG_5787.jpg.ff2cf01d11a0e5ce72b2e46e245db18b.jpg

Steve's got sasquatch hands.  I'm not sure his fingers would even fit in that trigger guard.

Appreciate the input guys thanks! I plan to test shoot before I buy, mainly for reason mentioned. At my size I have pretty big hands so I've been wondering if the smaller easier to conceal guns my not fit my hand properly. Will find out soon.

I definitely plan on taking some further handgun training after I do the CPL this weekend. I luckily have a few good ranges real close to me, one being a pretty big one that offers a pretty wide range of courses so for sure going to sign up to take advantage of some of them.

A good friend of mine has sasquatch hands. He shot my Sig P365 and said it felt good in his hand. It fits my hand perfectly, but my hands arent huge

I carry everyday. I have a hammerless S&W featherweight .357, 5 shot that is always in my pocket. It's more my style. Fits my hand. Conceals well, not heavy or bulky.