Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Handgun owners

6 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I carry everyday. I have a hammerless S&W featherweight .357, 5 shot that is always in my pocket. It's more my style. Fits my hand. Conceals well, not heavy or bulky.

A small revolover is not a bad choice. You pull the trigger and it goes bang, it won't jam... I don't imagine it's too comforatble to shoot in .357 magnum but will work with .38 Special ammo. 

16 minutes ago, Jaydub said:

A small revolover is not a bad choice. You pull the trigger and it goes bang, it won't jam... I don't imagine it's too comforatble to shoot in .357 magnum but will work with .38 Special ammo. 

I'm a big guy. I have shot it quite a bit with .357 in it but I mostly carry .38 in it when I'm in town. I made myself some hand-filling ivory grips for it that make it really comfortable for me to shoot.

Took my CPL class today and got my certificate so I can apply for my concealed carry permit. Gonna apply for the permit and get it but prob wait a good 6 months to actually carry so I can get very familiar with the gun and spend a good deal of time at the range first. Holy crap that was a long day, 8 friggin hours ...didn't expect it to be that long. Plus I only got 2 hrs sleep last night because the tinnitus is back a bit worse than it has been, so that made it an even longer feeling day than it was.
They have you fire 48 rounds. 8rds two handed slowly, 8rds two handed as fast as you can while still getting back on target, then 8rds 2 at a time while stopping every two rounds then looking left&right to break tunnel vision, then 8 right handed and 8 left handed. Then the last 8 are without using sights just as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Not too bad for not using a handgun in over 25 years. I think the ones up top were done left handed because I only have 25% feeling in that left index finger that I broke 30 yrs ago and it  healed all jacked up & crooked lol
Gonna start gun shopping soon and then spend as much time at the range as I can.
i4rYR2L.jpg
 😆

Also you guys that do a lot of shooting. With my tinnitus I'm concerned about doing more damage to my ears over the years as I shoot more. I just have the normal run of the mill muff style protection right now ($20 cheapies) are there any other ear protection that is better than others?

I don't shoot "a lot" ... but I go to the range a few times a year to keep my edge.  I use a pair of in-ear buds and standard (cheap) over-the-ear muffs.  With both of those, I have hard time even hearing the rounds from other shooters.  I'm pretty sure I'm getting no damage to my ears.

That's a good idea Mike, didn't even think about just doubling up. You just use the normal foam in ear ones or the ribbed shooting style plastic ones? Or does it really not matter?

I have a pair of peltor electronic muffs. I like to hear what’s going on around me and just block out the gunfire noise. You can get into a pair for less than what two boxes of bullets costs nowadays. Money well spent in my opinion. 

I find the foam ones actually block intense noise better than the plastic ones do.  Wife bought me a large container of the "rubber" type ...

16821896.jpg?size=pdhi

I wear them to keep her happy.  They work, but they don't block loud sounds as well as the compressed foam ones.

F1905877-02.jpg

I worked for an industrial supply house, Fastenal. I bought a box of 100 foam earplugs by Howard-Leighton. I believe that is correct. The rating was 33. Much higher than many earmuffs or plugs. Down to about two dozen.

Well, I went to the local gun shop this afternoon not expecting to actually buy. Was 99% sure I was just looking. I went with the idea that I was pretty much gonna decide on either a Glock 19 or Glock 26. I held the 26 and with my hand size I just did not feel comfortable with the shorter grip. The 19 felt good because I just shoot that one during my CPL class last weekend and liked the feel of it (actually it was Glock 44 they had us shoot for the CPL which is chambered for 22LR but the frame size is same as 19) so I knew I would like the feel of that. But then the older guy that was helping me started talking about his concealed models he likes to carry. He asked me if I had considered the Glock 48. I honestly had not even seen/read about it because I was thinking 19 or 26. Soon as I had it in my hand I knew I had found my carry gun 😁 I love the fact that it's a tad thinner than the 19 but overall about the same, just feels more comfortable in my hand than the 19 did though and the fact its a tad thinner will make it easy to conceal. I had no plans on buying today, but after putting 20 rds down range with it today I ended up bringing it home.

I am gonna apply for my concealed permit this week, but I wanted to get this now so that I can start getting use to it. Even if I get my permit with in 45 days I don't plan to start carrying for at least 6 months. I want to spend at least 1-2hrs per week at the range for the next 6 months so I get very comfortable with with this one before I actually decide to start carrying.

HAgfQX5.jpg

Compact size, single stack mag, 9mm.. Solid choice. Now you will need a good holster. My preference is a good old Don Hume leather belt loop holster. I personally do not like any of the myriad of cheap or expensive kydex holsters on the market and I prefer the piece of mind of a top strap/thumb break. Inside the pants holsters are uncomfortable and rub me the wrong way. Same with paddle holsters. I find anything jammed down inside my pants to be highly uncomfortable and requiring of constant adjustment. Yep, nothing beats a belt holster worn under a loose fitting shirt. 

Thank Greg, I really like the feel of it. Had no idea about the 48 before I went today but I think it's gonna be the right choice for me.

I have been looking at holsters a lot, but no real decisions yet. One of my good friends whom use to be a gunsmith suggested "Alien" as the ones he likes (brand?) but I have not looked into them yet. As of now I'm not sure where I want to carry yet (appendix or 3'o clock/rear hip) I'm thinking maybe rear hip, but not sure yet. I was actually starting to look at inside the the belts but not 100% sold on it by any means. From what I see/read, inside the belt does help conceal during summer, do you still use non inside the belt in summer/warmer months when you are just wearing a T shirt/Tank shirt or?

I use a IWB holster to carry my SIG. I got a lock leather holster from urban carry. Its a nice leather holster that has a kydex snap inside to holster to keep the gun in place. The clip doesnt mar the finish of the gun, and, its a comfy holster to wear. Find something that you think is comfy or you will leave it sitting at home.

Alien gear is pretty well known and popular. I think they are popular because they have a cool name. Never had one so I don’t know how they are. I’m sure they are fine but I know they are plastic and I hate plastic and they have a marketable name. I like the product to market itself over the name. It’s also important for me to point out that I have no intentions of quick drawing someone so those style holsters do not interest me in the least. I do not carry anything under just a tee shirt. I like to have an undershirt on under another loose fitting shirt. I don’t like the feel of a gun handle pressed against my skin so the undershirt is a nice comfortable buffer with the outer shirt to conceal. Trust me, with your OCD you are not going to like the feel of stuff crammed down your waistband or pressed against your skin. Generally, I rarely carry concealed because of comfort and definitely  not when it’s hot out. 

I have found plastic holsters to really really suck in the comfort department. Synthetic type holsters like Uncle Mikes is two soft and does not hold the gun securely. Leather is supple enough to be comfortable yet stiff enough to hold the gun. Forget anywhere behind you where you will feel it when sitting. This goes for anywhere in front of you as well.  Comfort is best at the 3 o’clock position for me and for most people except the most ardent of gun whackers out there.