Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Handgun owners

Just three items to remember when purchasing a holster.  

1.  Comfort.  First and foremost, it's not "concealed" if you're constantly fidgeting with it.  If it's not comfortable, that's what you'll be doing.

2.  Securing the weapon.  Concealed carry allows you to have the pistol with you.  In the interest of avoiding legal problems, NOT using it is always preferable to shooting someone.  If you're trying to avoid a confrontation, and the pistol falls out of the holster ... confrontation is guaranteed.  People who buy "quick-draw" holsters that allow the weapon to easily fall out aren't fully thinking through their responsibility.

3.  No matter how good you are, the chances of you needing to "quick-draw" against an antagonist/criminal/perpetrator ... scumbag ... are very low.  "Clearing leather" should be a methodical, practiced and deliberate action.  Even if you are ever required to use your skills, it's 99% sure you won't be in a "As seen on TV" type duel.  The holster doesn't need to facilitate a quick draw, it needs to be where you expect it and perform how you expect it through lots of practice.

I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir ... but it needs preaching.  I know two people who've shot themselves in the leg/foot while trying to do a quick draw from a poorly designed holster.

Good luck finding one you like that  performs the way you wish.

Oh ... and I like the pistol you've chosen.

I carry a Glock 27, the 40 caliber version of the 26.  I have told friends to choose either a S&W model 36 or a Glock 43 for first gun. Both are reliable, effective and inexpensive to shoot (accept now when all ammo is scarce). I prefer a Relentless Tactical leather IWO holster.

When fishing, in back country, I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog 44 spl, with 265gr LSWC bullets or a S&W model 60 three inch 357 with hard cast 165 gr LSWC. My 5.11 pack has a hidden holster.

Practice often. Most people in a stressful situation will shoot maybe half as well as in practice. Practice reloading. Where you carry should be consistent. If you decided you are going to carry, always carry. Don’t tell people you carry. Resist the urge to check your clothing or adjust your holster in public. Look before you go out to see if your gun prints on your clothing. If you look, it is easy to tell who has a gun. Bad people do.

Good luck and stay safe.

jKODOFc.jpg

I'll be damned if another one of these things didn't follow me home today. I tried to shake it on the way home, but it was pretty intent on following me 😁

I'm always busy with some project. My OCD is a blessing and a curse at the same time. Since I got back into firearms recently after being somewhat out for 25 yrs, OCD is back in overdrive😏(duh, have you even met me?lol)
In between workin' on rod orders each day, I have been putting in many hours on a gun room area down in the shop, to go along with the rod building area, 3d printing area, Rc truck area, aquarium area..... what ever is next area🤪 Still waiting for all the slatwall hooks to show up tomorrow so I can move all my guns to it, but got a lot of the main work done now. Waiting for a bunch of trigger locks to show up as well. This will give me not only a nice area, but a more secure place for all my guns while still keeping the home defense ones near. Lot's more work to be done but getting there. I did mention OCD right?

eC4UBUQ.jpg
NWLV2hG.jpg
fKV17fN.jpg
R144htY.jpg
2p7QgGR.jpg
Jegwi8d.jpg

Well, someone get ready to take over for me here on FTF. I'm sure I'm now on some watch list somewhere. Was just looking at a site to see about what I was thinking about buying for parts. And they had a tactical 12g on sale just dirt cheap. I did not need it, but for the price. Ordered, shipped to my local FF guy. Pick it up this weekend.

I need help lol.  Aweeeee.... OCD, thou art a bitch!

With all due respect, buy a safe. I didn't and in 1971, someone stole 12 guns, three were my grandfather's. Gone! Over 4K guns are stolen each day.

I store all of mine in a safe for a couple reasons, one of which is security. The other reason is for upkeep. I can maintain the conditions inside the safe way easier then the entire basement. This requires me to clean my guns way way way way less. 

That's a negative on the safe Ghost Rider. Have had them before and don't care for them. Too big and heavy to move, can't access a home defense gun in any sort of time, would have to carry it down the stairs. Not a fan. I understand they would be good for the average person that works away from home and spends 10+hrs a day away from home and needs that piece of mind. For me though I work from home and being such an introvert, I am home 99.5% of the time, so I'm hardly ever away from here.  I can clean my guns and keep them dust free pretty much all the time because of that as well. The "tinkering" with hobbies is something I enjoy anyway. Since I'm here most the time and have steel doors with deadbolts as well as other security measures I'm not too concerned about anyone breaking in.

Yet another "happy place in Steve-topia" pretty much finished 🙂 the gun room is about done. Only ones not on the new wall I built are a new tactical 12g which I'll be picking up from my FFL Mon/Tues & the home defense one which stays next to the bed. Everything is not only nicer looking in the new area, but nice and secure behind steel dead bolted doors, blocked off window, and also have a bunch of trigger locks on the way so that the only gun usable without being unlocked will be the home defense 12g I keep with me.
I dunno if I'm an introvert whom hardly leaves home because Steve-topia is such a cool place....or if Steve-topia is such a cool place because I'm an introvert whom hardly leaves home. I dunno, chicken or egg I guess. Introverts unite!....alone, in your own home, away from me (right Mike?) 😁

JUThnPh.jpg
HPRjSzY.jpg
0tWYttV.jpg

Just ordered the Impact Pro earmuffs and the upgraded gel pads. With my Tinitus I know I need to be careful, so gonna use in ear plugs with the electronic muffs over them and see how it goes.

The Impact Pro ear's and gel pads came Saturday. I haven't had a chance to use them shooting yet, prob will this Friday, but just tryin them out walking around the house & outside I gotta say, I'm blown away. Back when I use to shoot a lot 25 yrs ago then never had anything like this. It just blows my mind how much they amplify the low level sounds. Makes me feel like an old man to compare this stuff they have today to the stuff I use to use last time I was into this. 

There is nothing wrong with being in a crowd, Steve.  As long as it's a crowd of kittens or puppies, I'm cool with it.

People ... eh, not in my vicinity, thank you very much !!!

Introverts Unite! Apart !!!