Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Mink zonker

So I picked up mink zonkers this week. Never tied with them before but they didn’t have any pine squirrel. Both are tied on a size 2 Eagle claw 570 jig hook, a gold conehead and .020 lead wire. The first one is simply green body braid and a zonker strip with no rubber, feathers or flash. The second has root beer body braid, brown sili legs and mallard flank tail and legs. Since I’ve never used mink before I wet them to see what they look like. I like the wet profile of the one with the mallard flank and I’m going to cut the tail shorter on the plain mink one

mink1.jpg

mink2.jpg

mink3.jpg

mink4.jpg

Many years ago, womens cloth winter coats had clip on mink collars.

The Salvation Army Store and Bethesda Lutheran Thrift Shops sold these collars for $1 each. They came in all colors including the standard dark mink, tan, silver, etc.

I also use them for Zonkers and tails on buggers.

I usually like to try out new flies before tying more since I despise having flies that I have no confidence in but I haven’t been out due to the heat and low water but now I might be waiting a month for the water to drop. This should be good till I get out.

minkd .jpg

minkw .jpg