Fly Tying
Coin

Survey

5 hours ago, Coin said:

Looks like a lot of good reasons to go either way.  I have tried the CA but was wondering if I was missing something. One more question.  

What is Sally Hansen's?

Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails is what you want. Less that $2 at Walmart.

144c1730-356d-4410-9c89-12cc2f08a8c2_1.d

16 minutes ago, utyer said:

Sally Hansen has "caught on," and is now selling "Dries Instantly topcoat"

Interesting. 

I use SHHAN mostly to seal heads.  One of the things I like about the original is that its slow to dry, allowing it to fully penetrate the thread wraps and seep into the material in the thorax area.  When needed, I use the extra time to arrange legs/shoulder material more perpendicular to the shank.        

I didn't mean to imply that the Standard SHHAN isn't the best, just that SH has "caught on" and created more expensive products to sell to fly tiers.

Understood.  Just stating one of benefits of the original, as far as my style of tying goes.  Thanks for bringing the quick dry version to my attention.  

On 8/29/2021 at 12:31 PM, niveker said:

Interesting. 

...One of the things I like about the original is that its slow to dry, allowing it to fully penetrate the thread wraps and seep into the material in the thorax area...

Niveker,

I am also a huge fan of SHHAN for head cement and all through out the fly in many cases.  To ensure proper saturation, I tend to get the operation started, add a little SHHAN and then finish the operation and usually add a little more.

For example, when making a head, I will whip two or three wraps, add a little SHHAN,  finish the head (which squeezes the stuff through the wraps) and then add a top coat while it is all still wet.  This ensures complete saturation even with the faster drying stuff.

I have flies destroyed by toothy denizens of the brine frequently but they never unravel anymore.  As long as Sally keeps making it, it will always have a place on my bench.

On 8/30/2021 at 6:21 PM, FliesbyNight said:

I am also a huge fan of SHHAN for head cement and all through out the fly in many cases. 

I agree.  I don't fish the salt yet, so tie mostly for trout, but I also find it useful on slippery material like squirrel and snowshoe.  Secure the hair in place with a turn or two of thread, trim the butt ends of the hair then a dab of SHHAN before or just after covering the butts with thread, wipe off any excess, then continue on with the rest of the fly.  It saturates the hair and thread without turning hard right away like superglue, and it doesn't interfere with remaining materials, but helps keep that slippery hair on the finished fly without overdoing the thread wraps.