Fly Tying
Coin

Survey

What do you prefer CA glue or UV? I have found very little on the subject or I am looking in the wrong place.

I prefer nothing followed by sally hanson, super glue, epoxy and lastly UV. In fact I only use UV now because I have some but if and when it ever runs out I doubt I’ll replace it. I really have no use for it to justify the expense. I sometimes used super glue to make my buck tails more durable but I find the effort and added time not worth the little in durability it added. Lots of hype out there with glues and UV resins. I must admit I get a chuckle every time I hear a tier call a flashlight a torch. 

I agree that it depends on the application and your style of tying. 

I use Sally Hansen's for sealing nearly all my heads, out of force of habit more than necessity. Super glue, occasionally, to secure materials on the few larger patterns I tie. Though I have UV glue, I haven't used it in years.

Lots if hype out there with alot of tying materials, if you ask me. More of a marketing thing than anything else.  

depends on the application

i use crazy glue, uv resin, head cement, sally hansens hard as nails etc to make flies more durable

no right or wrong answer

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

I prefer nothing followed by sally hanson, super glue, epoxy and lastly UV. In fact I only use UV now because I have some but if and when it ever runs out I doubt I’ll replace it. I really have no use for it to justify the expense. I sometimes used super glue to make my buck tails more durable but I find the effort and added time not worth the little in durability it added. Lots of hype out there with glues and UV resins. I must admit I get a chuckle every time I hear a tier call a flashlight a torch. 

It's a British term...electric torch. It is mentioned in one of the last episodes of the movie series, Band Of Brothers.

For small heads I use Griff's thin (discontinued). When I run out I will probably thin out some Sally Hansen's.

For glossy heads I use Sally Hansen's.

For added durability, for example under a biot body, or for securing a material that might not hard to secure with thread alone, I use brush on Krazy Glue. 

For a built up coating on a wingcase or coating an entire body (some chironomids,  perdigons etc.) or other places I would have used epoxy in the past, I use UV resin. 

I use dollar store nail polish, and Rod Dancer water based rod varnish,  I don't like messing with CA or UV glues at all.  

Looks like a lot of good reasons to go either way.  I have tried the CA but was wondering if I was missing something. One more question.  

What is Sally Hansen's?