Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
richmce

deceiver flies

been tying larger ones for bass. think they would be killer on big gills and crappie in smaller sizes  . switched to using craft hair instead of bucktail on smaller size 6 flies  how small have you made them ,what material?

For smaller Deceivers, instead of bucktail, try calf tail (old timers used to call it kiptail…).  I’ve also dispensed with any sort of Mylar body at times when going down to hook sizes as small as #4…. 
Going the other direction at times I’ve done Deceivers as big as seven inches on hooks as big as 4/0 or 5/0.  Will add a pic or two when I can get to my desktop….

Here you go..this is the only one in my photo album at present.  This full bore heavily dressed Deceiver was called the Southern  Deceiver back when I was tying for shops.  The first shop that carried it was the Southern Angler in Stuart, FL.

Hook:  Ex-sharp, ex- strong Tiemco or Owner 4/0

Tail:      six wide, webby saddles (6 to 8" strung saddles), with two long perfect dyed olive grizzly saddles outside at least one inch longer than white saddles

Flash:   10 to 12 strands of pearl Flashabou Accent (or Crystal Flash) doubled and staggered on each side

Body:     Pearl diamond braid (custom made for me in a larger size) doubled- laid along the top of the hook shank then wound over to within 1/8" of hook eye

Collar:  Heavily dressed bucktail extended back 1/2" from end of hook, Peacock herl 8 to 12 over the collar and two short matching grizzly saddles on each side to extend the barred appearance from tail to head

Throat:  bright red synthetic wool

Thread:  Danville's flat waxed, with head built up to accommodate painted eyes....

tQP4phz.jpg

Later on today I'll check to see if I have any smaller, simpler Deceivers to add...

thanks bob.that is an awesome big deceiver.started tying big preacher jigs which led me to tying smaller jigs and then the smaller size6 and 8.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this thread... Here's the standard Deceiver in one of the colors that I did for shops over the years that shows how a calf tail head/body works (compared to the usual bucktail version... ).  Shops ordered them in green/whit, red/white, blue/white as well as all yellow, red/yellow, pink/yellow, etc.  Occasionally I filled orders for Deceivers with an all grizzly tail instead of the white or yellow tail... 

lff0swl.jpg

Hook:  Mustad 34007, 1/0

Thread: Danville's flat waxed nylon, color of choice..

Tail:  Saddle hackles from relatively inexpensive strung saddles bundles, 4-6", three on a  side totaling six with curves facing inwards, tied in as a unit, just forward of the hook bend - on top of the shank... 

lash:  Your choice, Flashabou Accent or ordinary Flashabou in pearl, six to ten strands on each side of the tail with staggered ends stopping just short of the end of the saddles... 

Body:  Pearl Diamond braid (my own variation from Lefty's original mylar in silver...)

Collar:  Generous amount of bleached white or dyed calftail from area near the tip end (longer hairs, but still straight - not curled).  Bundle of calftail tied in on top of the shank about 1/8" from the hook eye, then rolled around the hook shank to evenly distribute it.     Note: hair much reach past the hook bend... then add an accent color on top if desired...

Head: Built up tying thread, then whip finished and super glued (Krazy Glue - original thin formula), followed by painted on eyes if you choose...

I tie my deceivers with CDL rooster cape hackles, Just H20 Steve Farrar blend fibers and fish masks.  Used mostly for Specks they are extremely durable while the CDL and SF Blend makes for a very translucent profile.

BZN31028.thumb.JPG.d48dd254112f9768d030784e330a5e1b.JPG

2 hours ago, mikemac1 said:

I tie my deceivers with CDL rooster cape hackles, Just H20 Steve Farrar blend fibers and fish masks.  Used mostly for Specks they are extremely durable while the CDL and SF Blend makes for a very translucent profile.

BZN31028.thumb.JPG.d48dd254112f9768d030784e330a5e1b.JPG

Mikemac1 are your heads commercial? I really like the shape, are the eyes part of the heads? Thanks for your time! I really like your ties. In addition, what would you say the overall length be?

6 minutes ago, Charlie1947 said:

Mikemac1 are your heads commercial? I really like the shape, are the eyes part of the heads? Thanks for your time! I really like your ties. In addition, what would you say the overall length be?

I would say these are 3-4” but the basic pattern call be tied in any length.  The heads are Flymen Fishing Fish Masks and Eyes  (eyes are separate but sized to Fish Mask) attached and sealed with UV cured resin.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, mikemac1 said:

I would say these are 3-4” but the basic pattern call be tied in any length.  The heads are Flymen Fishing Fish Masks and Eyes  (eyes are separate but sized to Fish Mask) attached and sealed with UV cured resin.

Thanks mikemac1! I sure appreciate your help and time!