Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Podcasts

So every night I walk between 4 and 7 miles or put 18 to 25 miles on my bike. During such walks or rides I enjoy listening to various podcasts. With the weather cooling I’ve been going for longer walks and have exhausted all of my normal podcasts so I searched for a new one this evening. I almost don’t want to admit to searching for a fishing related podcast because I’ve never found one even remotely interesting. Tonight that changed and I became a fan of the orvis flyfishing guide podcast with Tom Rosenbauer. I listened to a few and he talked fly fishing for trout, pickerel, shad, SM bass, carp and trout. The host could use a tall coffee and a Red Bull but all in all he kept it interesting and calming. I will definitely add this to my repertoire. I can’t believe I like a fishing podcast. I hate reading about fishing, watching fishing, fishing tournaments and rod shootouts but for some reason I really enjoyed this podcast. 

curious if anybody else listens to podcasts and, if so, which ones?

Orvis FFG is my fav also.  You would think since its from Orvis it would be a one hour commercial.  It is anything but, just good diverse information on all kinds of fly fishing and tips.  Good find!

Excellent point Jim! One would expect it to be an infomercial but I don’t think the word Orvis was ever mentioned by the host and he never tried selling one thing. Just great talk about fly fishing in its many forms.

ive watched a video tom rosenbauer swinging streamers for maine brook trout. nice video. 

i do have some podcasts stored on my computer from the old "fly fish radio" with guest norm albiston. long gone podcasts (5 plus years ago)

thats my extent with podcasts

On 8/26/2021 at 8:04 AM, flytire said:

ive watched a video tom rosenbauer swinging streamers for maine brook trout. nice video. 

i do have some podcasts stored on my computer from the old "fly fish radio" with guest norm albiston. long gone podcasts (5 plus years ago)

thats my extent with podcasts

I looked up some of his videos, not to shabby. I like his approach, especially how he says fly fishing is easy and not to buy the hype (in so many words). My kind of fly fisherman. 

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

What's a podcast?

im thinking this has a chance of being a serious question from the last guy in florida with a flip phone. For lack of a better explanation it’s a prerecorded radio talk show. They could be about anything and they can be made by anyone with a cell phone. A modern cell phone, probably not with a flip phone. 

1 hour ago, Jaydub said:

April Vokey has some great interviews with interesting fly fishers and others.

https://anchoredoutdoors.com/anchored-podcast/

I will check hers out in the near future. Thanks

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:
4 hours ago, mikechell said:

What's a podcast?

im thinking this has a chance of being a serious question from the last guy in florida with a flip phone. For lack of a better explanation it’s a prerecorded radio talk show. They could be about anything and they can be made by anyone with a cell phone. A modern cell phone, probably not with a flip phone. 

I wasn't gonna say it and sidetrack the topic, but since you guys brought it up.....but I honestly had no idea what a podcast is either. Then again I gave up cell phones almost 20 yrs ago. So is it only ones recorded with a cell phone that iare considered a podcast? Do they only have audio or do they have video? I watch Joe Rogan on youtube all the time and I've heard people say it's a podcast....but IMO it's a plain ol' talk show. What makes it a podcast?

All serious questions too. Because I have actually googled it before and never seem to understand what differentiates a podcast from a talk show/talk radio.

I believe there is no such thing as side tracking or “highjacking” a conversation. only difference is podcasts are all recorded and listened to at the users convenience. Okay maybe two differences as they are streamed via the internet and do not go out over radio waves. most anything  can be a podcast and most radio stations also podcast their shows. Meaning they record them and stream them over the internet. They can be recorded with a cell phone or the most advanced recording equipment on the market  or anything in between. Probably a better description of a podcast is it’s just another vehicle for delivering a message. 

If I recall correctly, they are called podcasts because they were made to be listened to on an iPod.

They can be interviews, lectures like TED Talks, or discussions around a specific subject like fly fishing.

https://blog.feedspot.com/fly_fishing_podcasts/

https://fishuntamed.com/fly-fishing-podcasts/

40 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

If I recall correctly, they are called podcasts because they were made to be listened to on an iPod.

They can be interviews, lectures like TED Talks, or discussions around a specific subject like fly fishing.

https://blog.feedspot.com/fly_fishing_podcasts/

https://fishuntamed.com/fly-fishing-podcasts/

Now that you mentioned it, I believe you are correct. 

I deal with kids in my class, everyday, so it WAS a joke ... sort of. 

Since I don't listen to any of them, it's not 100% incorrect to believe I don't actually know anything about them.  If it's longer than 10 minutes, I usually don't watch YouTube videos, either.  It's not a lack of attention span.  I'm just not into the "chatter" that goes on.  I like the direct, say it and get it over with, quick info stuff.

Okay so basically it's a streamed show then that wasn't broadcast on TV or anything but only able to be streamed, that's kind'a what I was unsure about. So since Joe Rogan is only stream-able, if I'm watching him on youtube then it is a podcast?

No, your watching a YouTube video. A podcast is something you listen to but some people also upload to multiple platforms like YouTube and vice versa. A lot of the podcasts I listen to are sports radio shows that upload their recorded shows to a podcast platform.