Fly Tying
DarrellP

Stay safe on the gulf

You are welcome to it!  Just keep it south of central NY!  The NY State Fair is running and due to COVID Delta people are already staying away in droves!

Be safe all and watch out for the flooding!

Kim

On 8/30/2021 at 4:22 PM, chugbug27 said:

Boy what a mess that was... Well, all safe and sound, yard's cleaned of leaves, branches, debris. Power's out but food in the fridge is still cold, weather's cooled off. Lot of work but done for now.

Chris, how'd you do? Hopefully all okay

Glad you're alright, Chug.  We lost a fence and need a new roof, but are otherwise unscathed.  No power at home yet, but hopefully within a few days.

Stay safe.

Chris

Used to live in the Alexandria/Pineville area. Recall 16 inches of rain in 24 hours. School bus never showed up so I took the kids to school. Principal came out with knee boots as the school flooded. So, back home!

6 hours ago, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

new roof, but are otherwise unscathed

Ouch! Glad you're good

On 9/1/2021 at 5:39 AM, flytire said:

looks like a whole lotta rain is on its way

Seems like you got a whole lot.  How'd you make out?

damage from the wind. should be covered by home owners insurance

chair.jpg

i honestly dont believe weather forecasters anymore.

supposed to get 4-6 inches of rain and high winds

my nieces husband had to fly back to worcester mass from orlando to pump out 2 inches of water from their basement. much worse 50 miles north of me

Yeah, we got well over 6 inches of rain here, about midway between Springfield & Worcester, most of it after dark.  A few of the smaller creeks were running over the road this AM as I took my daughter to school, nothing serious though.  Biggest problem we run into around here with that much rain is having one of the beaver dams near a road give way, the rivers are all pretty well controlled.  

EDIT: Looking this morning from the Boston NWS, looks like our actual total was closer to 4 inches.  Not sure what data I was looking at yesterday.  

On 9/1/2021 at 10:18 AM, WWKimba said:

You are welcome to it!  Just keep it south of central NY!  The NY State Fair is running and due to COVID Delta people are already staying away in droves!

Yeah ... heavy rain and face masks, well, that's the very definition of water boarding.

Lordy, I feel for you, Chug. 

We had that happen to us @ 10 years ago with a freak October blizzard.  Most local roads were blocked for a day or two with downed trees, trees blocking driveways, power lines down all over, who knows if they were live or not.  No power, water, heat, etc for 8 days.  Our problem was trying to stay warm at night, thank goodness we have a wood stove.  The snow came in handy as we could pack the cooler and keep some things cold.  Lugging 5 gallon buckets of water up from the lake to flush the privy.  Gas for cooking so that wasn't a problem.  We all ate well, couple hundred dollars worth of meat in the deep freezer went on the grill that week.  Not ashamed to say I shed a tear or two when the power finally came back. 

Funny how some of the little  things we take for granted and don't notice until they're gone.  One that sticks in my mind was not being able to wash my hands in warm water.

Glad things are finally turning the corner, and hope they continue to improve for you guys down there.  Stay safe and stay well.      

45 minutes ago, niveker said:

little  things we take for granted

ice water

We did have potable water, but a lot don't because the sewage pumps run on electricity and the generators the city uses are not so reliable.

On 9/6/2021 at 9:48 PM, chugbug27 said:

Power finally came back on tonight. 9 nights, 8 days, whoa. The nights were brutal.

I'm 10 nights/9 days in at this point.  Crossing my fingers the rumors of power within the next 48 hours are true.  Otherwise, the possibility has been floated that this could go on until 9/29

Chris.