Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Michigan steelhead trip

Pat sorry to hear that man,weather can really make a what should be a good time suck i know the feeling.

Kevin, yupp i was counting your boat also.....after all its attached to your ass isnt it laugh.gif when was the last trip you took besides the one we did in september when you didnt have a boat under ya? laugh.gif wink.gif

SD

OK fellas here we go so that there is deff. fish in the river the date for this trip is going to be march 27/28 2004 and we will be fishing the pere marquette river on the west side of Michigan.

The town of baldwin michigan is the main town right at the river on M37 & US10

heres a few places in town to stay:

Baldwin creek motel 1-231-745-4401

dream catcher motel 1-231-745-4779

ivans camp ground&cabins 1-231-745-9345

PM lodge 1-231-745-3972

cloud9 motel 1-231-745-3070

The local fly shop is baldwin bait&tackle 1-231-745-3529

I believe shoe has a couple other #'s and can add some info so post whatever you can find out about the places on the river you mentioned ralph.

Should have a good number of fish in the river at this time of the year even though the hook#'s arent as high as we can expect in PA,a 3 fish day in MI is a good day but our MI fish make up for it with size and brute force average is 8+ lbs and many that go 10/12# and bigger so it should be a very good time.

We may also have a good number of driftboats going on this trip so we can probaly accomadate many guys that havent had the chance to fish out of a drift boat yet.

So its set lets start making plans!

SD

Not quite sure where everyone is going to stay i usally stay at dreamcatcher(use to be canoe country)motel but i'll wait and see what ralph comes up with on those cabins he mentioned right on the river to make my decision. I'm sure keith will want to stay at his trailer in reed city but i would rather stay around some other guys so we can do some tying at night. Let me know where your plannin on stayin kevin and maybe well stay at the same place.

SD

forgot to mention.......

as far as the luanch we'll see what boats are for sure going and decide what section everyone wants to fish and make a time to meet at the same luanch.

But if we have 3 or 4 boats we may want to break up and fish different sections so we arent fishing behind each other in already fished over water.

we will work that out when it gets closer to time.

SD

I will make this outing and would like to see how many we can get at Brothy Lodge, the one Ralf mentioned. Even though the costs are high, the benifits are great. It allows a ton of bank fishing opportunities, with some of the best fishing on the entire river section.

Marc

Take Walhalla RD south off US10 for about two miles....BTW, I just read they have 7 miles of river to fish. I floated this 3 times last year and caught a ton of nice upper teen Browns, a few summer-run Skams and several rainbows. By far, the best stretch of water on the entire system.

Marc

well, Steve, looks like I'm in, barring any major catastrophe between now and then.....shouldn't be too hard to talk Smallie into driving this time!!!

Sounds like the new wife needs a heavier fly outfit than I have. I will have to get it and try it out for her that weekend smile.gif Any suggestions as to weight? 8/9 good?

Hunter,

I use a 9wt., 9', GL3 for steel, it's also my salmon stick.

Mike

just wanted to throw this in....Will and I landed many on 5 wts....great experience...but in heavier fished waters, I did swing the big lumber just so I could get the fish landed without messing up the drift for everyone....