Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Crabby Patty Sand Flea

I created this fly a while back inspired by a few flies I saw on instagram. I took aspects of a couple different flies, mainly a few from "sand bar flies" and created my own pattern with some ideas I saw. Notably the chenille legs from one fly, and the mallard flank shell back from another. Originally I made a video on tying this fly, and I used a dubbing loop. I also used a flexible resin on the mallard flank feather as well. After tying these for a few years, I have now changed a few aspects of the fly, and am very happy with the ultimate result. I think this is now easier to tie, and also more durable.

Sand crabs, or also called sand fleas, are a staple food source for many insure saltwater species. Surf Perch and Corbina in California, to pompano and redfish in the gulf of Texas, I find that these flies work great for all species willing to come close to the breaking waves in the surf. These little crabs occasionally get kicked up by heavy waves, and become an easy meal for hungry fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BePi7bUPVM

7 hours ago, mikechell said:

I don't know.  Doesn't work for me, either.

Hasn’t worked for the past few weeks for me.   Not sure why.  Thanks Mike for trying.  

Same as Poopdeck here, though the sight has occasionally been acting wonky the lest few weeks.  Probably the reason for so many double posts recently. 

Second posted link works for me.

Mac, you really are doing some nice tying videos now. However I do miss those Keystone Cop fishing videos that you posted in your earlier days. 😃

On 9/4/2021 at 2:11 PM, FIN-ITE 34 said:

Second posted link works for me.

Mac, you really are doing some nice tying videos now. However I do miss those Keystone Cop fishing videos that you posted in your earlier days. 😃

Thank you Fin. 

Keystone Cop?   Sorry I am not familiar with the term.   But yes my earlier videos were amateur for sure.  I mean it takes time to learn the filming process, and over the years, and 10's of thousands of flies later, I also think ive improved my tying ability also.   Anyway, thanks for watching.  

25 minutes ago, FIN-ITE 34 said:

On both counts you are doing a nice job.

My reference to the Keystone Kops (Cops) was in regards to all the little accidents that you seemed to endure in your early videos. I just thought it comical.

Here is a short video that would explain my reference.

https://youtu.be/GwUUUqgfu-E

Well again I was just starting so obviously there will be mistakes made when getting the hang of filming.   :).    I figured people liked coming along with me on my learning journey and they can learn with me, from both my mistakes and my wins.   LOL.  But yeah, for sure I was amateur when I first started.  In fact I actually started the channel just for fun, and to get some constructive criticism on my flies.  I had a buddy that was helping me learn to tie, and he lived kinda far, so I was sending him videos of me tying asking him what he though I could improve on.   That was many many years ago.   Then I stopped doing that for a while because of a job I took.  Left the channel sitting for a while.  Decided to start a new channel a little later because YouTube did something weird with the first one.  Started doing the same thing with the new one in the very beginning, but after I had a few videos get really popular, I started making some advertising money from it, and then got some companies asking to sponsor me.  After all that I decided to go full time on the channel and really hone in the quality of both tying and video.  

To be honest, making higher quality videos is not all that easy.  The equipment is pricy, and time is much more than most would think.  Now, I change the camera angles sometimes 30 times in a video.  Then editing it all together and putting voice overs on top take a while also.  I have spent 20+ hours on some videos.   The gamechanger one comes to mind.  So many steps and so much time just for one simple video.  Granted it got over 100k views in the first month, but the income here definitely doesn't way in with the time.  Its more of a labor of love than a way to earn money for sure.   There are a few people that say I am doing this to make money and don't care about the sport but that simply isn't the case.   The income from this is very very low in comparison to the work put in.  I do enjoy making the videos and learning new patterns, and also showing what ive learned to others.  In recent years Ive had 100's of people tell me they got into tying or fly fishing because of my videos, so that is mainly why I continue the channel.  Always trying to improve.  I thank you for noticing the improvement and telling me.  It means a lot hearing from others.  Also any suggestions on improvement are welcome also.