Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hopperfisher

UV resin problems

Hi guys, looking for some advice on the Loon UV resin kit. Everything looks fine and dandy right after I apply the resin and hit it with the light, but after some time (overnight in some cases) the resin starts to yellow and peel off. I can easily peel it off with my thumb nail. I do use tyers wax on my thread but in all the videos I've seen there doesn't seem to be an issue, thoughts or tips?

The head on this one should be shiny black.

1631376368226-984825606.jpg

when our resident uv resin expert sees this post he would be the guy to explain what happened

put it out in direct sunlight for a while and see if it cures better

i use solarez bone dry uv resin and that has never happened. i dont wax threads

1 hour ago, hopperfisher said:

Hi guys, looking for some advice on the Loon UV resin kit. Everything looks fine and dandy right after I apply the resin and hit it with the light, but after some time (overnight in some cases) the resin starts to yellow and peel off. I can easily peel it off with my thumb nail. I do use tyers wax on my thread but in all the videos I've seen there doesn't seem to be an issue, thoughts or tips?

The head on this one should be shiny black.

1. Don't use a waxed thread. That is the most likely reason that the resin is peeling.

2. Try testing the resin but putting a dab of it on a clean white sheet of paper and then cure it until it is non tackly. If the resin discolors, the problem is with the resin. It may the the amount of photoactivator in the resin which causes it to overheat during curing.

As a plug for my resin it cures crystal clear.

Thanks for the replies! 

Alright, I put a sizable dab of each of the three vicosities on white paper...clear as a bell. The only other thing I can think of (next time I sit at the bench I will test this, AKA pay closer attention) is that sometimes I put super glue on the head first, then resin...sometimes not. Maybe the reason some of my heads are good, some not. That glue could lock down the wax and make it a non-issue.

After all of this, it seems to me that UV resin was really not meant as a head cement...it never seems quite as "hard shell" as varnish or SH. I can easily make a dent in the cured resin with light pressured thumbnail, not so with varnish or SH. Thoughts on that?

As for the tyers wax, I got the idea from tyers like McPhail that tout the benefits of thread grip, hackle control, etc. It works. And, I've seen them use UV resin as a head cement.  Maybe the last layer of thread isn't waxed 🤔.

SilverCreek, I'll PM you

Thanks guys!!!

I can't comment on the peeling issue BUT the cloudy white is quite probably the super glue.  I've tied Clouser's and applied super glue to hold the barbell eyes in place and fond the same issue.

Kim

if you put super glue on fly heads why the need for uv resin

you will see davie mcphail use wax on the tying thread for grip but youll rarely see him coat the fly head with uv resin

my solarez bone dry uv resin fly heads cure hard

Autumn-Gold-1080.jpg

2 hours ago, flytire said:

if you put super glue on fly heads why the need for uv resin

you will see davie mcphail use wax on the tying thread for grip but youll rarely see him coat the fly head with uv resin

my solarez bone dry uv resin fly heads cure hard

Autumn-Gold-1080.jpg

Do your heads stay that vibrant after you fish them? Of course, not withstanding fish mouths, rocks, etc.

I apply super glue to lock the whip finish. It doesn't make a nice, shiny head though. And, it turns white and flaky when it gets wet so it needs something over it. Please tell me if I'm wrong on this.

Davie most always super glues then coats with varnish for a nice head. 

Maybe I should stop waxing the thread when the last material is tied in and finish the head with clean thread, skip the glue and apply resin. When I get back to the bench, we'll find out.

Thanks again, you guys are great!