Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Val Schmaus

Bamboo Rod Fix

Recently I came across a 1932 Granger Rod.The tip section has is about a 4" bow in it when laid on a flat surface.I think its from being in the trunk of a car for the last 6 months.Is it possible to straighten it back to original or am I wasting my time?

Make a jig with a board and nails to bend the rod. Nails at the proper places will help straighten it. Basically you are bending it at the opposite the curve. Put it in the jig and watch it. Did this with my old 'boo rod. Do not heat it in any way!

A simple hair dryer set on low is the normal way to do it most times. Have done it myself back when I offered cane rods for awhile many years ago when Bob use to make the cane blanks for me. Most important thing is to not get it too hot, just set to low and let it warm up slowly.

I used low heat to take set out of my Montague. But, there are supposedly some early glues  that heat affects. Rule I've read is don't get it too hot to hold with your bare hand. Search the web for "straighten set  bamboo fly rod" , you'll find some experts.