Fly Tying
terp

Why don't I like my Dyna-King Excalibur?

Compared to my Regal Stainless Revolution, the damned thing can't hold a hook -- it's as if the jaws's surfaces are greased up. Either that or I just can't figure out how to tighten the grip properly.  But with the Regal you set it and forget it -- no tinkering needed.  I feel like I must be missing something, but the Regal is just a much simpler piece of equipment to operate.  

First time I've ever heard of a Dyna King not holding hooks. My Pro holds em great. All the way down to 30s Haven't found any 32s yet. 

The Excalibur is a fine vise in my opinion. It may take a little getting use to but it is a 

pleasure to tie on.  Maybe you should sell it. 😊

23 minutes ago, Moshup said:

The Excalibur is a fine vise in my opinion. It may take a little getting use to but it is a 

pleasure to tie on.  Maybe you should sell it. 😊

Your final thought. I was thinking that same thing. 

3 hours ago, Sandan said:

Your final thought. I was thinking that same thing.

What would you want for that faulty heap of scrap metal?

Did you try one out before you bought it?  If I every put out that much money for a vise (which I wouldn’t) I’d test drive it first.  Vises are very personal choices; features that some folks crave, others couldn’t care less about. There are some who aren’t fond of Renzetti Travelers; you’ll have to pry mine from my cold, dead hands.

Regards,
Scott

I’ve had a Renzetti  Traveler for 25 yrs now.  True to it’s name it comes  with me to the clubs and when I’m on the road.

6 hours ago, Val Schmaus said:

Sold mine years ago and got the Regal with stainless jaws.Just like you said set it and go.

I don’t think the Excalibur has been around for “years.”

I think the problem is not understanding the jaw adjustment properly.  All Dyna-King vises have a detent in the lever that pops into place as the lever is rotated up to close on the hook. You need to learn you to preset your collar to leave just a little gap.  When you have it right the jaws hold tight as the detent pops in.  I got a Dyna-King Sidewinder about 25 years ago, and the forcing cone had been damages by the previous owner.  He was trying to tighten the forcing cone before closing the lever.  Dyna-King sent me a new cone at no charge, and the vise has worked fine ever since.  I traded a Regal for it.  

small sidewinder.jpg

I don’t own one but it sounds like how the Thompson  jaws had to be dialed in for different hook sizes before they would hold securely. Perhaps I’m wrong on that. For over 600 dollars I would expect a better set of jaws. My regal  and Griffin jaws don’t  need to be tuned in for each specific hook size before they will hold securely.  Definitely falls into my expensive vise definition but not my fine vise definition.  To each there own never applied more than to vises. 

19 hours ago, niveker said:

What would you want for that faulty heap of scrap metal?

I'm waiting to see what @terp wants too

I've been thinking about selling it and am open to offers.  I bought it used from a professional fly tier on this forum for $450 a year ago.  I then got new midge jaws ($100) and also got the existing standard jaw refurbished by Dyna-King (I forget the cost of this).  I've probably tied 10 flies on it at most.

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

I'm waiting to see what @terp wants too

@terp

I was just being a smart-ass with my comment.  Those vises are a bit above my pay grade.  My next one will most likely be a Peak Rotary.    

Utyer's advise is spot on.  He helped me on my Barricuda.  Place the hook in the jaw and adjust the cone till it is touching the hook.  Then back it off (open it up) just a bit.  This will allow the lever to securely pop into the indent.  If you don't pop it into the indent the hook will slip.