Fly Tying
terp

Why don't I like my Dyna-King Excalibur?

I love vise discussions...and this one is no exception.

If someone gave me a brand new top of the line Regal I would simply give it to someone else. I DO NOT like that vise.

I am on my 3rd HMH TRV and after Mark did a modification to the jaws I will keep the one I have.

I am on my 3rd Renzetti Master and have now found one that works the way I like...long story.

Keep at it with the Dyna-King for a bit. It it still is unsatisfactory then get rid of it and find something you like and works for you.

On 3/7/2022 at 5:31 AM, SalarMan said:

If someone gave me a brand new top of the line Regal I would simply give it to someone else. I DO NOT like that vise.

What aspect(s) of a Regal vise do you dislike?

1 hour ago, terp said:

What aspect(s) of a Regal vise do you dislike?

That's easy and purely a personal preference.

I find the appearance to be off putting, as in clunky and rather awkward to use with the spring sticking out of the top of the vise...plus the handle on the side is also something that just makes the whole appearance a little strange. I tie classic salmon flies on rather expensive hand made custom hooks ($14.00 each and up) and the jaws have a way of damaging the finish no matter what type protection is added around the hook. Plus I prefer, no I have to have, a true rotary vise as part of my working needs on said vise.

That pretty much sums it up I suppose...or at least that is what comes to mind at the moment.

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

That's easy and purely a personal preference.

I find the appearance to be off putting, as in clunky and rather awkward to use with the spring sticking out of the top of the vise...plus the handle on the side is also something that just makes the whole appearance a little strange. I tie classic salmon flies on rather expensive hand made custom hooks ($14.00 each and up) and the jaws have a way of damaging the finish no matter what type protection is added around the hook. Plus I prefer, no I have to have, a true rotary vise as part of my working needs on said vise.

That pretty much sums it up I suppose...or at least that is what comes to mind at the moment.

Thanks.  For my tying I rarely if ever need rotary (in fact I probably would have been fine with the Regal Medallion).   My brother quipped that the Regal Revolution looks like something out of design school in Soviet Kazakhstan.

PS where in SE PA are you? I'm originally from Doylestown.

3 hours ago, terp said:

Thanks.  For my tying I rarely if ever need rotary (in fact I probably would have been fine with the Regal Medallion).   My brother quipped that the Regal Revolution looks like something out of design school in Soviet Kazakhstan.

PS where in SE PA are you? I'm originally from Doylestown.

Like I said...all of these things about any and all vises is purely personal taste. I tie on either a Renzetti Master or a HMH TRV. Love them both.

I live about halfway between Phoenixville and Valley Forge Park...approximately 30 to 35 mile WNW of Philadelphia (Chester County)

1 hour ago, SalarMan said:

I live about halfway between Phoenixville and Valley Forge Park...approximately 30 to 35 mile WNW of Philadelphia (Chester County)

Chester County's beautiful, was more unspoiled that Bucks or Montgomery when I lived there 30 years ago.  I had a girlfriend in Chester Springs.

8 hours ago, terp said:

Chester County's beautiful, was more unspoiled that Bucks or Montgomery when I lived there 30 years ago.  I had a girlfriend in Chester Springs.

My wife and I lived in Chester Springs for 20 years. When I retired we decided that 1760 vintage farm house and 4 acres was more than we wanted to deal with. So...we sold the old place and moved to where we are now which gave us a lot more time for ourselves.