Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fatbillybob

intruder chassis

Haven't tied them for saltwater use, but could see it working. I tie them for bass, but I tie them more like a bass jig than Intruders for trout, Steelhead or Salmon. I don't use the trailing hook, instead use a hook up front, as I found that bass tend to take that trailing hook too deep. If I was to tie them for saltwater, such as for Redfish, I think I would tie them the same as I do for bass. 

I thought that I had a photo of one I had tied, but apparently I don't. This fly was purchased to copy it, and to use as a bass fly. I used a 60 degree jig hook instead of the shank & trailing hook. A shank and straight eye hook could be used too, which places the hook point further back, but for my use the single jig hook works fine. 

IMO, this style of fly can be adapted to use for various fish, so see no reason it couldn't be for saltwater species. 

100_4846.JPG

Been tying for the salt a few years... Never heard of an intruder chassis.. Can someone enlighten me (and a picture or two of the rig before it's tied into a pattern if at all possible...).  Thanks, I swear the longer I work with hair and feathers the more I hear of things for the first time...

Bob, it's a Steelhead/Salmon style fly. They generally attach a looped wire, or braid to either a cut off front section of salmon fly hook, or to a Waddington shank which is also used for Steelhead or Salmon flies. The wire or braid loop allows to attach various hooks, but mostly it's an octopus style hook that will be used. They're intended to allow for better hook ups with short striking fish. 

Here's what a Waddington shank looks like. Nothing but a wire form where at least one end looks & acts similar to the up eye Salmon fly hooks. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/umpqua-waddington-shank?ds_e=MICROSOFT&ds_c=Shop|CAB|TopPerformers|StandardFishing&msclkid=36f00650a3ec14abb28767160e8b112e&gclid=36f00650a3ec14abb28767160e8b112e&gclsrc=3p.ds

Sometimes large Intruders are tied on two of these shanks and the resulting fly is articulated. 

This fly is not the best example of an Intruder, but it does show the basic idea of the chassis that fatbillybob was asking about. As you can see the fly is tied on the shank, and that wire is solidly attached to the shank and the hook is positioned back on the wire. https://www.bigyflyco.com/SolitudeSignatureIntruder-detail.htm

As I had mentioned, I don't care for having the hooks positioned like this, but the style of the fly, with the various materials used makes a good fly with plenty of movement. 

Watch this video and it will give you a better idea of what it's all about. 

6 hours ago, DarrellP said:

The only problem might be rust.  People tie saltwater tube flies all of the time, so an intruder should work.

Shanks are now available made of stainless wire, so rusting shouldn't be an issue. I use black nickel finished jig hooks, and they hold up fairly well in saltwater, but not as well as a stainless or tinned hook. I know of some folks in the UK & other European countries, who are using flies like this in saltwater for Sea Run Trout and what they call Saltwater Bass.  

intruder chassis

shank, connector, hook

shank = waddington shank or equivalent

connector = wire, spider wire, monofilament etc

hook = hook

intruder-chassis.jpg

Thanks for the info… Believe I’ve done something similar without attaching a name to it… 

What I’ve done on occasion is mount a nylon coated braided wire loop to a 3/0 to 6/0 hook, then tied a really large streamer fly onto the hook (mostly sailfish fly orders years ago).  You then add a second hook looped onto the wire loop extension with the hook point opposite of the lead hook….

The intent is to have that second hook at least 2/3 of the fly’s total length to the rear of that first hook.  Works well on the strike but it’s miserable to cast…. On the plus side that wire loop flexes with the tail of the streamer.

7 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Thanks for the info… Believe I’ve done something similar without attaching a name to it… 

What I’ve done on occasion is mount a nylon coated braided wire loop to a 3/0 to 6/0 hook, then tied a really large streamer fly onto the hook (mostly sailfish fly orders years ago).  You then add a second hook looped onto the wire loop extension with the hook point opposite of the lead hook….

The intent is to have that second hook at least 2/3 of the fly’s total length to the rear of that first hook.  Works well on the strike but it’s miserable to cast…. On the plus side that wire loop flexes with the tail of the streamer.

Yes sir, same basic idea just different applications and hook sizes. 

9 hours ago, flytire said:

not much different than a tandem streamer

Black-Ghost-Tandem-Streamer-1080.jpg

Yes sir, except most remove the front hook bend & point on Intruders. The basic idea is still the same. 

I catch fish on clousers and decievers but think the action of the intruder might catch more fish.  The materials for intruders like marabou waft in the water in enticing ways.  I'm still looking or an intruder based saltwater pattern that fishes well like a white/chartruse clouser or looks to imitate an anchovy/sardine.