Fly Tying
flytire

are we being duped, cheated, fooled, mislead to get our hard earned money

On 9/25/2021 at 4:46 PM, Mark Knapp said:

You are assuming that the metal parts are the same. If I drop the thing, and I will, and the Chinese one bends, but the other one doesn't because it's made of better steel, the extra $10.61 is worth it to me. Would you be willing to glue that tip into a wooden handle for a lousy $10.61. Not me.

Back before I became a custom knife maker, I owned and ran my own saw and tool repair shop. A customer came in, in a huge hurry and needed some large molder/planer blades for a log turning mill that he owned. It was log home building season and he needed blades fast, the season is short. I didn't normally carry the size and brand he needed so I told him I would find the ones he needed and get them here for him. I found them at one of my normal suppliers, ordered them and had them shipped priority mail. I payed the charge for the planer blades $100.00, payed the shipping, $15.00 +, payed the credit card bill and the long distance phone charge and I added just a little for my time. I called him and told him I had them in and he was elated. He came and got them. I week later he came charging into my shop and said that he found them in Seattle for $100.00 and how could it possibly be that I would charge him $130.00 bucks for an item he could have gotten for $100.00, he was literally spitting mad. He called me every kind of crook, a lot of the same words you are using.

I explained to him that the place I got them from must have had a better source than I did and could sell them cheaper, plus, I had shipping. Plus that, I had to assume the liability of the warranty for the part and the liability of it if he hurt himself with it. I thought I had done him a favor. I made a lousy ten bucks and had to put up with abuse from that guy. He left, still pissed and I haven't seen him since. Good riddance to him and every body like him.

Everybody that complains about a business should start his own business and try it for a while (In my humble opinion).

Do you know, if I sharpen a tool for somebody, I assume the liability for that tool if someone hurts themselves with it. That's why hatchets and axes are not sharp when you buy them now. I charge $10.00-$20.00 to sharpen a hatchet. Not because it takes that much time to sharpen one but because it costs that much to insure it. The insurance for a saw and tool sharpening shop is in the same bracket as a logging company.

This is insane.  Lawyers.   On a similar note, as a veterinarian I am liable if someone's own dog bites them while they are in my office.  That is why vets won't let you hold your own dog while they examine them.   At least we are warned that eating fishing lures can cause reproductive harm!  In California. And so on.  

In Oregon they just passed a law that if someone breaks into your home and steals your gun that wasn't locked in a gunsafe, you are liable if they commit a crime with it.

Personal responsibility seems to be legally becoming limited to business and property owners.

End of rant

On 9/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, robow7 said:

I can't believe no one hasn't posted  one of the many fly tying "Materials clip or dubbing loop clips"  from Stonfo et al vs a snack bag clip at a few cents

The Swiss one is sweet looking, but I'll save some money and buy some more tungsten beads... https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heavy-Duty-Stainless-Steel-Chip-Bag-Clips-Snack-Sealing-Clips-Food-Great-Air-Tight-Seal-Grip-Coffee-Bags-Kitchen-Home-Office-Usage-Wide-1-6-3-0-4-7/366524364

Loon's "Vise Pawn", sold as  magnetic material clip, is only $10 - but it always looked like a whiteboard magnet to me. Nearly the same shape and easy to grab. So that's what I use. I don't need 12 or 50 of them for $10, but someone gave me one that's magnetically strong and high quality. Sold as whiteboard magnets, magnetic map pins, magnetic push pins. Over the years I've found  various uses for magnets at the tying desk but now I reach for the whiteboard magnet as it's small and unobtrusive but easy to locate and grab when needed.

I suspect all the complaining is jealousy. I'm guessing each of those complaining wish they had thought of repurposing a common item into a higher priced widget for a market funded by discretionary income.

For those of you who think things should be priced according to their manufacturing costs, a small lesson in economics should apply. To quote the character from the 1980's Saturday Night Live, Father Guido Sarducci, president of the Five Minute University, "Economics - supply and demand."    Five Minute University

Only some of business is the manufacturing (adding labor to materials), and the rest is arbitrage - the ability to buy a commodity or items in a location where they are plentiful or their cost of manufacture is low, and sell the items where demand is high and hence prices are high. Been the basis of commerce for 4000 years. Think of the trade routes through what is now the Middle East and west Asia. The dairy farmer doesn't get anywhere near $4 a gallon for milk, but that's the price at the local convenience store, maybe $0.60 less at the grocery store. The rest is the collection, bottling, and distribution - all moving the milk to get the most money. Not much demand for milk on the farm, but plenty in the city where there are no cows.

That being said, when time is money, I'll take time. High priced items however are worth the hunt. You can buy good surgical scissors on flea-bay for a quarter of what on-line or local fly shops charge and they are the same. The difference is the fly shop has curated the scissors to the few types of surgical scissors (there are hundreds of styles) useful for the tyer, and of course has found the market. Cheap scissors are not worth the hunt, but a good pair or razor sharp miniature iris scissors might be worth it, but maybe not...You decide if that is worth it (time vs money). 

Yep, that’s it jealousy. It couldn’t be a thread just for fun banter and conversation. Yep, it has to be jealousy. I guess this thread is dead now. I do agree that there is no better time in history for a good lesson in supply and demand and free markets. 

That's funny. I don't feel jealous. But who knows. Perhaps it's one of those repressed emotions that's not healthy for me to ignore.

On 10/1/2021 at 9:37 AM, DFoster said:

😆 I've noticed that the people demanding that I follow the "science" when it comes to man made climate change and covid are the same people telling me there are actually 137 sexes.  Damn if I can figure out.

😀Lol.  Pretty funny DFoster .

On 10/10/2021 at 8:21 AM, Poopdeck said:

Yep, that’s it jealousy. It couldn’t be a thread just for fun banter and conversation. Yep, it has to be jealousy. I guess this thread is dead now. I do agree that there is no better time in history for a good lesson in supply and demand and free markets. 

It can still be fun. From a guy who sells luxury items at an admittedly exorbitant price, (I make 30.00 an hour on those luxury items) I get called a crook sometimes. I don't force anybody to buy the items I make and sell. It's all a matter of personal choice, price up front. (I have a five year backlog on custom orders)

If you don't get the item you looked at for the same price that you saw listed by the seller you bought it from, you were duped.  If you get the same item you ordered, at the price you chose to pay regardless of how many alternatives there were, you were not duped. IMHO.

Here's something fun, lets try to remember the silliest thing we ever bought and later found out we could/should have done it better another way. I'll go first.

I was ordering new tires for my boat trailer and I thought I'd get an extra spare tire (making two spares, the roads up here are "hell-on-wheels" so to speak) The place I get my tires didn't have the rim I needed so, while I was standing right there in front of him, he called the trailer place right across the street from him, I could see it out the window, he got the price, added his mark-up and quoted me the price. I asked him if he had just called the guys across the street (instead of calling his supplier (where he undoubtedly would have gotten a better price). He sheepishly admitted he did and asked if I wanted to go purchase it myself. I was pressed for time or maybe too lazy to go over there, (waaaay across the busy two-lane) and load my own rim so I told him to just go ahead and do it. I still feel silly about that. I not so sure if I was duped though.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:42 AM, caddis16 said:

Just tried to order these, here's what I got.

Currently unavailable.

We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

So now I have to find an alternative. I can wait, if they ever have them again, but they don't even know that, or I can pay more elsewhere. I'd pay double the price if my local fly shop had them, but they don't.

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Just tried to order these, here's what I got.

Currently unavailable.

I've still got an extra set of those I can send you, I'll just have to find them. The least I can do after all the hides you've sent me.

20 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

I've still got an extra set of those I can send you, I'll just have to find them. The least I can do after all the hides you've sent me.

You are the best. I promise to take better care of them this time. Thanks buddy.