Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
harrisnmo

Mustad 3906B's and Beads...

Hi guys,

I'm a pretty earnest Mustad fan, but have been getting pretty frustrated lately with one particuliar hook... the 3906b... seems I can never get a machined metal bead onto one without deforming the bend!

I love the 3906b's for my regular soft hackles and nymphs, but I'm fast comming to believe they are worthless for beadheads... Seems the bend in this particuliar hook is too extreme for a properly sized countersunk metal bead to fit over.

Is this your guys observation as well? Should I be looking at a different model hook for beadhead nymphs in the future? If so, what do you recomend? 9671's or 9672's?

Do alot of tying on the 9672's, but it seems a little long for princes, p-tails, hares ears, and such....

Gotta get a hook order in soon and start crankin these babies out, so your help would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks gang,

Nate

I like mustad 3906's for their stoutness and hook setting ability, but, like you said, impossible to make beads fit. For most mayfly and attractor nymphs like PT's and GRHE's I use 9671's with standard bead sizes. I weight most of my nymphs and the slightly lighter hook shank on 9671's allows you to do this without adding to much extra bulk.

A.A.

I went to one size smaller tungston bead, and that seems to do the trick for the 3906b's I am a fan as well, I tie all my salmon and steelie nymphs on them.