Fly Tying
Coin

Color

On 9/29/2021 at 9:52 PM, Coin said:

Kind of what I expected ask 10 fishermen what color to us and get 10 different answers...

That's mostly because there is no one answer to your question. Every answer or suggestion above is correct.

You can generalize (bright day, light fly, dark day, dark fly) and that will often get you in the right direction but I find presentation is more important than color or pattern.  Of course, there are no absolutes in this hobby. That is what makes it so attractive to many of us, so you have to figure it out every day.  BTW, I do not fish for trout (the freshwater kind anyway) so I am not trying to match the hatch unless it is in very specific circumstances. When the fish are keyed in on a specific bait, nothing else will do but you still have to present it properly or they will ignore your offering.

There simply is no silver bullet.

On 9/27/2021 at 5:23 PM, Coin said:

I do know that any color can be the color on any given day. What I would like to know is what is your go to color to start the day with? You know the one that is your favorite.  Now it may be a color combo that you start with. For your info I chase mostly gills but would still like to know for any kind of fish. 

Hi Coin, Color depends on what you are fishing for or  where you are fishing and even the colors you have a history with catching fish!

In other words, TRIAL and ERROR!