Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyguy13

clouser minnow

i was at the local fly shop a few days ago and i was talking to the owner about the clouser minnow and he was saying tha he like to use fox tail on smaller sizes. which got me thinking what other materials make a good clouser? and what are good color combos? dunno.gif

i did tie some up with the fox tail and they good, any way i will post them as some as i can get a pic thats worth any thing.

I've done quite a few this year using calf or kip tail, particualrly for sizes #6 and under.

The latest trend here in FL is to use Polar Fiber rather than bucktail. More undulation in the water.

Colors are unlimited, and somewaht dependent on which species you are fishing, time of year, etc.

Chartreuse/white, tan/white, and pink/chartreuse are universal.

Cheers.....Fred

I like using fox and coyote tails for clousers. But also UltraHair synthetics are great and make some awesome clousers. Another synthetic that works well is neer-hair. I carry them in all sizes and all materials. One of my top producing flies.

There are few materials that you can't use to make great looking clousers. I have used anything from the traditional bucktails to Krystal flash, mylar, fur( for the bottom- undulates like mad) as well as all of the synthetics and glow in the dark stuff available. I think the clouser is the most versatile fly ever designed and is limited only by our imaginations, I tie them from 3-0 for pike and muskie down to 14's for gills and crappie. cool.gif

Thanks to everyone for a statement of color and materials. I want to use more soft hair, but somehow does not suit me to # 4 hook. Top mean fox and arktic runner hairs . This design also works well in water.

Squirrel tail, whatever the color. Fine, soft, and I like the color varigation in the hair.

Deeky

everyone is going to have their own ideas, but down to size 10, which is as small as I've tied them, nothing beats natural bucktail. Obviously some bucktails are better quality than others, and when you find a good one, you treasure it. I've watched a LOT of baitfish in the water, and underwater using scuba, and have never seen one undulate and flow like people want them to- with the exception of a lamprey, which wiggle side-to-side. Most baitfish look relatively "stiff" even when moving fast. Good quality bucktail has a very natural movement.

My most productive color combos this year for bass, crappie, bluegills, and shellcrackers have been: black over purple, and chartreuse over pink. Don't know why, but they just work.