Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Still Tying?

Obviously in the last couple of weeks the activity on the site has dropped way off since it's peak over the winter. That got me thinking. How many of you guys/gals actually spent the winter months stocking your boxes for the spring and summer?

That was my goal for the winter and I managed to get some done but I will defiently need to find some vise time to restock the boxes. I was planning on tying franticly this month but with buying a new house and moving, that doesn't look promising.

So how many of you actually spent your time wisely and find yourself fully loaded and ready for spring? Or how many are like me and are left wondering what you did all winter.

I would have been pretty well stocked up by now, but then I found FTF with all kinds of challenges and worst of all---swaps biggrin.gif I have a large assortment of flies now just not enough of one pattern to last the year. With gas prices up I'll get a little more tying time than fishing time this spring. Might as well make the best of it tongue.gif

Duckydoty

Am pretty well stocked for trout, so so on the panfish specials. Bass stuff is pretty good but really want to add some more for pike and pickerel.

I have time set up just to tie for these upcoming adventures, so I think I will be fine overall.

Yeah gas prices suck and will probably be prohibitive of some roadtrips. thumbdown.gif However, my truck is a 4 cylinder with about 25 mpg and it would not be the first time I ever slept in the bed or tented it , so it might balance out in the end.

I tired to stock up over the winter but I find that I'm losing flies faster than I can tie them! And, I never seem to have the right fly for the early hatches that are going on. I'm also rushing to try to build another short, light rod for dabbing some of the smaller streams. My kids are also starting to tie more now too. And of course, I am still finishing up that software I told you about smile.gif

cheers,

Michael

This is my first time ill be fishing i nthe summer. Im 15 all self taught, just got into it. I know im not set for the upcoming season but I had fun stockign the tying box and slowly the bass/panfish box. I hope to see what patterns do and dont work. Should be a fun spring/ summer.

I'm well stocked on some flies...but I can always use more. You know how you get those fly ideas burning in your head...those never go away regardless of deason...infact I get more ideas this time of year than ever. I might not tie as frequently, but I still tie...and there are always those rainy days..

Now's the big scramble to have the right fly for the next outing. Have had to slow up on the swaps just to get myself in order.

Bamboo

I'm tying a lot of different fly's now than I was over the winter. I pulled out my book " Trout Flies for the Michigan Emergence Schedule" and started at the beginning and have been tying my way through it. I have most of the early to mid-season fly's tied up but I still have a long way to go through October. I have never had a "complete" set of dries for the entire season so that was one of my goals this year. I have been learning a lot in the process both about tying and the habitat in which each species lives, therefore where to fish the dries as well as the nymph's. Good Luck to all in the upcoming season cool.gif

I need to hit the vise... again

Too many experimental flies, swaps and I set up a buddy with the basics.

Some of my staples are in need of replenishment. More sculpins, nymphs, chili peppers, daces and spinners. If I could keep my butt out of the trolling rig... wallbash.gif

Beginning May 1 my 5er will be placed on the banks of one of Michigan's most prolific rivers for the season. Good thing NOAA is calling for shitty weather this weekend. laugh.gif

Work just seems to get in the way of my fishing ive_been_ripped.gif

I tie year round, regardless of the season. I'm either replenishing my own fly boxes, or experimenting with new materials, or tying for a shop or folks who give me orders. I don't mind, because it relieves stress and it's fun.

I'm stocked up for now. I'll tie to fill in holes in my fly boxes as I lose flies, or if I want a refined pattern for a specific hatch. I belong to a fly tying club, so I'll continue to tie, but now I'll likely do some "experimentation," or do a couple fly swaps.

now that i have a dedicated tying area i am going to try and continue tying through the summer.

I didnt stock my boxes nearly as well as i should have, i spent too much time on swaps and non-tying activities.

I might have tied six flies over the last four years for myself- and then stuck 'em somewhere and never fished. Tying I've done these last few years has been giveaways and swaps or demonstration/student instruction. Got a club function coming up two weekends from now and I'm betting I do more tying or casting instruction or making sandwiches, so I might not even bother bringing a rod.