Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Fishing report - first week of October, Flamingo backcountry - Everglades

On the water with anglers the first six days of this month down at Flamingo - and the fishing was very good... Only the last three days were my customers fly anglers so I'll stick with that for now.   My fly angler was Peter Bonde out of Michigan.   We caught and released tarpon,  snook, speckled trout, redfish, spanish mackeral and a variety of other species during the week.  Peter, a very skilled fly angler,  concentrated on tarpon and jumped them every day up to about fifty pounds (the bigger fish haven't shown up yet....).  He mostly used a 10wt for the tarpon -and an 8wt for the remainder.  I'm still waiting for their pics and maybe even a video or two... In the meantime go to https://www.microskiff.com/threads/backcountry-report-everglades-flamingo-first-week-of-october.94794/  for the full report.... Here's a few pics on the fly side of things for now... 

g51w6NO.jpg

Most of our tarpon ranged from 20 to fifty pounds and they were found every morning holding in the rivers that drain out into the Gulf coast of the 'glades... The rest of the day we found them in various places up and down the coast - just hanging out and feeding at leisure... Our most productive fly for the tarpon was one of my Tarpon Snakes , the smaller version on a 2/0 Owner Aki hook - and as always - all in black.... 

ARPzAju.jpg

The standard version is a big fly on a 4/0 hook - 6 to 6 1/2" long,  our smaller version on the 2/0 hook comes in at about 5 to 5 1/2".  That week we never used anything heavier than 40lb fluoro for a bite tippet on the 10wt... NOTE:  we always fish these kinds of flies deep, across current, with a full Intermediate line... 

"Be a hero... take a kid fishing... 

They are literally all you can stand, from tiny 1-3 lb babies all the way up to the giants (with a giant… after 30 minutes or so on the rod, it’s kind of a question as to who’s hooked who).

To top it off no two tarpon behave the same when hooked… and just to keep it interesting occasionally a hooked fish will try to jump into the skiff with you (while going absolutely berserk of course…). The one sixty pound fish that jumped into my skiff one night was all I’ll ever want.  When my angler and I were able to get it back into the water, my skiff was covered in blood, scales, and slime…. The following week I had to re-fasten my center console to the deck.