Fly Tying
fatpossum

Light source/Magnifying lens

I've got my shop together and now I need a magnifying lenses/good light source. What do members of the community suggest in terms of what works best for them. I just got a little cash left and that's the next tool. Is Ott-Lite the best? Are there other options to consider?

Thanks

Bill

Union Oregon

This is my set-up, which works great for me. The magnifying lense is attached to an old cheap vise, garage sale cheapo, the light is another garage sale cheapo. The magnifying lense is cumbersome and I only use it for tiny flies. But this set up is geared for me and i find it very comfortbable.

user posted image

the daylight lamp comes with a magnifying lens and is of comparable quality to the ott lite. coupled w/ a 40% or 50% off coupon from jo-anns and you can pick one up for less than $50.

I paid about $65 for mine at sportsman's warehouse and love it. my eyes do start to bug out after looking into the magnifier a while, so I rarely use it. 1.5x reading glasses are my standard small (#20 and smaller) magnification.

mgj

I have been using an adjustable long neck light that has a cover over a madnifying lens that I can move over when I need it. 20.00 at Office Depot or Staples. Works for me.

http://www.giraffelamps.com/fly.htm This is the set up I use but with the C clamps insted of the base plate. GE came out with a new 100 watt spotlight bulb for true color that I use with it. If you're looking for the best lighting and magnifying lens this is it.

Brent

I used to use a magnifying lens, but switched to off the shelf reading glasses, 1X, from Lens Crafters for about $20. I think I'll go check out the 1.5x like mgj uses. For lighting I like my 35 Watt halogen that’s attached to my vise stem, nice quality unit, but I can't remember the manu's name. I also have the general tying area well illuminated with other lamps including a bright halogen floor lamp that reflects light off the ceiling. I prefer the warmer color from a halogen compared to fluorescent. Weird thing is I like my Ott light that’s at my computer desk.

I use a desktop Ott lamp with its attached magnifying lens. The lens is about 6" and is glass, not plastic. This setup works great but it is expensive. There are other brands of "natural light" lamps that are just as good but I got my Ott before these were available. Unfortunately, their magnifying lenses are plastic. If you can find a separate large glass lens and make a base for it, that would be ideal. I do find that I have to position my Ott properly since the lens and lamp are attached to the same base.

Michael

I use an Ott-lite and flourescent light in combination (can't have too much light). I also have the magnifier on the Ott but prefer my mag-eyes. Just flip it up or down as needed.

Bamboo

I use a drafters table, circular flourescent light, with a 3x magnifier in the center. It has worked for a good number of years, and I have yet to replace the bulb. Half the price of an Ott light. I have wanted an Ott for a while, but after looking at the price I decided that what I have serves me well, and there's no need to throw ut what works.

For light I use a lamp that Norm Norlander makes for the Nor-Vise. It's the same light source as an Ott-light. For magnification I use the visor clip on/fold up magnifiers for the bill of a baseball cap.

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I have been reading this forum for quite some time now, and I had to register simply so I can tell you about this light thing I got for my magnifying visor.

It is an LED light that snaps to the front of your magnifying visor. IT IS EXTREMELY BRIGHT!

I was amazed by how well it performed. I was a bit hesitant on purchasing it due to the price, but boy am I glad I did. I can't say enough good things about it.

It is called the Quasar LS, and I think it is only for the Optivisor brand magnifier. This is where I learned of it: http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/tools/qu...ol_qua_ls.shtml

Here is where I purchased it from: http://www.fdjtool.com/store/showitem.asp?item=LM800&store=5

And here is the manufacturers website: http://www.novaconltd.com

Hope this helps you out.

I use a magnifier and was given a high power one by a friend. It has a fluorescent light with it. I also have two of the clamp on desk lamps from staples, which I also use for fly pics. $15.00 each. I also use the overhead light in the room which I wish were track lights or fluorescent. I have used and still use the cheap staples magnifier light at another tying station. I will tell you if you get a magnifier of any kind get a back drop. That way the only thing that will be magnified is your flies. Not everything else. I found I got headaches from seeing everything else magnified and blurry

I tried using a magnifier for a while, but found it messed up my depth perception. Drove me nuts. I now use the most powerful reading glasses i could find (+3.75 I think).

I prefer seperate light and magnifiers. I have one of the light/magnifier combos and i found it difficult to tie with due to its size. Now it resides above the vise and just off to the side. I have an ott light directly above the light and a magnifier on a pedestal base that i can move in front of the vise when i am tying small flies.

I also have a large halogen floor lamp that reflects a lot of light off the ceiling.