Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eym

Opinions on the app “Picture Insect” ?

I’m doing a research project for college on improving an educational app, in my case, Picture Insect— an app where you can identify insects using image AI that identifies it for you. It would be super helpful if I could hear some opinions on the app from entomologists! Or anyone who likes bugs

I downloaded the app just to see what it was... it allows a 7 day free trial, but the small print says after that there will be a monthly or weekly charge to your Google account. I uninstalled it. 

if its free its for me but i'm not paying for it after a trial period. im not downloading it

i know basic bugs. thats good enough for me

I looked like an interesting app.  I downloaded it an took photos of some of the more imitative flies I tie.  It didn't correctly identify any of them as what they were tied to represent, so it's obviously flawed, lol.  

There are some fly fishers who enjoy correctly identifying a particular bug, but for me and most, I don't think it's really necessary.  Size, profile, presentation and to a lesser extent color are what's important to me.  I don't need an app for that.  

flytire hit the nail on the head: 

27 minutes ago, flytire said:

i know basic bugs. thats good enough for me

Wife uses a flower app that IDs with picture input.  She loves it when she needs it.  Thing is, she doesn't need it very often.

I'd think the same would apply to an insect ID site.  It would be great if it could identify specific insects even if the picture isn't perfect. (Since few people can take good pictures to begin with)  But who would use it?  The people who like bugs rarely need such an app.  If they do, it's because they're looking at something that's NOT a normal bug for the area.  People who don't like bugs aren't going to care what kind it is.  It's either a good (dead) bug or a bad (living) bug.

I wouldn't use it, since I don't actually use any apps on my flip phone.  🤨

8 hours ago, mikechell said:

I don't actually use any apps on my flip phone

Flip phones have apps?? Man, technology has really left me in the dust.  

I go further, I don’t care in the least to learn the name of a bug I see. When fishing, if I see a bug I then look to see if I have a fly that ever so loosely resembles that bug in size and color. The actual name or species of bug is of no concern to me.  I hope that helps for marketing. 

13 hours ago, niveker said:

Flip phones have apps?? Man, technology has really left me in the dust.  

I don't know if mine does or not, honestly.  Never looked.  It does seem to have WiFi capability, but I've never turned it on.  It's a phone ... that's all I want it to be.

22 hours ago, niveker said:

I didn't know that  I thought Mike was talking about one of these classics

image.jpg

I am.  Mine's even cheaper than that one.