Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

HUGE brookies

I have never done this before, posted pics of customers fish like this. Because it's not the rod that catches a fish, it's the person/place, but I just had to share these pics because I'm blown away.

One of our customers just sent these pics tonight. He just got one of our 11' 3wt euro rods recently. Caught these monster brookies on it. To say I am jealous would be an understatement 😆I'm happy to have built the rod that caught these, but I would much rather be on the "catcher" end rather than the builder end. Just absolutely beautiful brook trout!! Said the biggest was 18". Just beautiful brook trout!

EIK2cTi.jpg

SsmKWot.jpg

HkCN2VE.jpg

Those are beautiful Brookies, all hussied up.  Nice to see them that big. What part of the world?

Your rods have caught brookies larger than that.  The same reason I asked you to put a thread wrap at 20".  That's my line for brag worthy trophy size trout. Nothing prettier than a brook trout in the fall colours.   Your 10' 3wt has also landed +20" steelhead in small rivers.

Our local Appalachia strain of brook trout is much smaller. Six inches is good. Heard of one that went nine inches. The TN state record is 4-12, caught from the Caney Fork River in 2016.

Somewhat like they are here too. Ours will average about 6"-8" range, 10"-12" is a "good" one, one in the teens is a bragging size fish. Brookies are a beautiful fish at any size imo :)

I could be wrong but judging from the photo that might be a splake. It lacks the red dots surrounded by a blue halo that is found on brook trout.

R.jpg

The splake I've caught have a more forked tail and less color than the monster above... 

LS_lktroutsplakecbrooktroutID_tail.jpg

J-Kno, I have fished brook trout all my life and was surprised to catch splake that were identical except for the blue haloes. I did a bit of research and found out that the M.N.R. here in Ontario had been back-crossing the original splake (brook/lake) with brook trout. On another note a friend is a taxidermist and when I walked into his shop one day and commented on a nice splake that he had ready for a customer he started laughing and said that I was the only person that realized it wasn't a brook trout including the guy that caught the fish. He tried to tell the guy it was a splake but the fisherman insisted it was a brookie.