Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykid

Blacker for Bann No. 2

Here is number 2 from the series. This is a little bigger hook than I used for the rest. I don't really like the hook and think it throws off the look of the fly. The head isn't great either. But for completion, here it is. You definitely don't win them all. I am pleased with how the Bronze Mallard wing set, it's a tricky material to work with.

1999803490_BlackerBannNo.2.thumb.JPG.aaa038272902ad4bb53730a96c6e43fe.JPG

Yes, Bronze Mallard can be a pain in the ass but making sure of tying it in at its gray base is a big help in getting it to set just right like you did on the lovely fly. I agree about the hook. That stout wire may be a little too much, but if the water is up a bit it could be just what a fisherman might need.

Regarding the head...look at old/antique flies and you will notice that the heads are NOT the small things we all aspire to now days.

All 4 of the flies you posted are well done, but in my opinion this one takes the cake! The bronze mallard looks great; and as mentioned above, I think that the head is actually on point for the "classic" look. I have not tied a Blacker pattern yet, but you have brought them higher up on my list! Haha! 

Great tying!

Agree with the Kraken, nice ties all, but this one really catches my eye, nice color and shaded transition in the wing, the GP tippet underwing (if that's the correct term), simple and understated.