Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

Stages of Fly Tying

Many simply tie, but others go through various stages of fly tying. There are no rules with this and this video shares some of the stages I've experienced. How do ours compare?

Quit spinning deer  hair as they look like "dog poop". 

At the stage of trying to find more warm water flies to add to my collection. 

Rick 

I didn't watch the video.  I don't know where "tying for my own fishing" falls in the stages, but I have been there for as long as I've been tying.

I watched the video. Thanks for sharing. I'm in the stage of finally feeling like I might know what I'm doing, even though the fish don't always seem to agree.

I meant to comment on this a lot earlier. 

I can identify with all those 'stages' mentioned.  Right now I feel I'm into the 'what is the purpose of tying that material on the hook' stage, so really,  still learning to tie and having fun, but with more purpose (at least I hope).    

Been at it for a while have gone through many stages including tying to sell, than finding it was job like and limited my time for fishing and enjoyment . You forgot the material collection and material dying phases, a large rabbit hole, then the phase to simplify your time to make a fly quicker and more durable. I find myself playing more artistically, tying pins for family members or myself, nothing fancy, just for memories. Tying the most durable patterns for a few old friends, and my love of streamer patterns and see how they swim and fish.