Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TroutFodder

Your Favorite Scud Pattern

026.thumb.JPG.89ac7be4d1d96f925a0b59af1d667a4b.JPG

Scuds (in this case, Gammarus lacustris) are very common in many of our trout lakes here in Alberta. In the photo above, the top scud is a normally colored one (usually shades of green, olive, or olive/brown). The two below are infected with Acantocephalan parasites (the orange dot along the dorsal side). The interesting thing about scuds infected with these parasites is that the Acanthocephalans affect the hormonal system of the scud to make them more likely to be eaten by a definitive host (fish or waterfowl). The infection causes the normal color to fade to a bluish grey, making them more visible to predators. It also changes the behavior of the scud, making them more likely to be active during the day and giving them a tendency to swim towards any disturbance in the water (like a swimming duck or a trout).

I do fish traditional scud patterns in the olive part of the color spectrum but I find that in lakes where infected scuds are more common, a pale colored scud pattern catches more fish. My go to infected scud pattern is a simple baggie shrimp tied with pale blue dun dubbing (I call it the Blue Dun Scud). It would be interesting to see what everyone else uses as a scud pattern.

Blue_Dun_Scud_C49S_10b.thumb.JPG.cc41dfa60cd36cb1a02f17eb174d694a.JPG

Most scud patterns are tied on the wrong hooks. This is a case of fly tyers copying other tiers without actually knowing about the behavior of the what they are imitating.

Swimming scuds are straight and not curved when they swim. Tied on straight hooks, they catch fish just fine. I learned this back in the 1970's from Gary Borger. Gary Borger’s book, Naturals mentions this on page 166.

“During swimming, the thoracic legs are pointed to the rear and the body is held straight. For this reason, scud patterns should NOT be tied humpbacked but with a straight body”

This is what the book Fish Food says:

"First of all, swimming scuds, the kind fish are likely to see, are as straight as a needle and only curl up into the typical scud fly profile when they are crawling around on something."

https://books.google.com/books?id=D4N9vB3NM7kC&pg=PA179&lpg=PA179&dq=First+of+all,+swimming+scuds,+the+kind+fish+are+likely+to+see,+are+as+straight+as+a+needle+and+only+curl+up+into+the+typical+scud+fly+profile+when+they+are+crawling+around+on+something&source=bl&ots=3xVHOBs0ja&sig=ACfU3U3oDsaQJ9-VJOoCWFyZWcuZuTkrBA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjU7fntu9nlAhVPQq0KHQUzBX0Q6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=First of all%2C swimming scuds%2C the kind fish are likely to see%2C are as straight as a needle and only curl up into the typical scud fly profile when they are crawling around on something&f=false

Phillip Rowley is a noted stillwater fly fisher.

https://www.stillwaterflyfishingstore.com/

He writes:

Curved scuds are dead, resting or feeding. Pronounced curved pattern profiles should be avoided. Successful hook styles include standard shank or a scud pupa to suggest mobile scuds. The kind foraging trout are hunting. At the vise fly fishers should consider the effect of weighting patterns. Curved pupa hooks tend to roll upside down when weighted as the crest of the shank is now the heaviest point. A phenomenon christened the keel effect. Successful scud patterns feature scruffy undersides of dubbing, a pinch of soft hackle or similar materials to suggest the 7 pairs of legs that always seem to be in a constant state of motion. A traditional Hare’s Ear Nymph tied in a spectrum of scud colors is an excellent imposter.."

http://www.flycraftangling.com/index.asp?p=123

In contrast the Yum Yum pattern by Geremy Garrett is one of the few scud patterns tied on a proper straight hook.

uv-yum-yum-smokey-med.jpg.7d62a50fdc837b6c84f59e46337b079c.jpg

Swimming scud videos - note the straight body shape when swimming.

Some good points to consider SilverCreek. I like to tie mine on the slightly curved pupa hooks. I consider it a compromise when fishing the fly with short slow strips followed by a pause - straight enough to fool the fish on the strip and also curved enough to look natural on the pause. I don't quite agree with the "straight as a needle" description for swimming scuds - the telson and sometimes the last few segments generally curve down a little even when swimming. 

J-Kno and planettrout, I like the more translucent look of those two patterns - mine looks a little flat compared to those.

J-Kno, is the underbody woven in the Gut Sack? And what is used for the back? is it one of the UV coatings?

Here are some of the photos I have taken of scuds actively swimming. Note that in all cases there is still a slight curvature to the scud. Also, you can see in the last photo that the scud is in the early stages of being infected with Acanthocephalans so the color is just starting to fade.

020.thumb.JPG.10581da8c18bb652c58bc9bc108859c0.JPG

066crop.thumb.jpg.180738a0ed4c465b035d098d3a08e467.jpg

007Ps.thumb.jpg.4556b36516a9e8a32ad78abcd499c766.jpg

083.thumb.JPG.1c58d57afa40d26889070669bb880f04.JPG

What I see:  Even if the bottom of the scud is straight while swimming, as is the body in direction of travel, the back of the scud always looks curved.  Seems that 

16 hours ago, TroutFodder said:

I like to tie mine on the slightly curved pupa hooks. I consider it a compromise when fishing the fly with short slow strips followed by a pause - straight enough to fool the fish on the strip and also curved enough to look natural on the pause.

Is the best way to represent these prey species.

I've tried tying some, and they look acceptable, but I've never caught anything on them, so I don't tie 'em at the moment.

Fantastic photos TroutFodder.  Thanks

I am convinced I get a better hook up, more often, with the TMC scud hooks.  I've also adapted many nymphs, emergers and some dry patterns to suit this hook.

@TroutFodder Great pics!

Nope, it is silly easy... It is thicker lead or lead free wire that is squished flat, tie in the vein, add a little dubbing, wrap dubbing between the lead, bring the vein over and add a couple of coats of UV resin... Or just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdREMMGXVKY

I was a fan of the "roll-over scud" but this is my primary scud now. I love woven flies too. I'll see if I can't find some of my old flies..

Cool, thanks for the info J-Kno. Similar to a grub I used to tie with a wire base and acetate floss over-wrap dipped in acetone. You could see the wire through the fused floss and it looked like the guts of the grub.

Just for the record, I am not sure it matters much if a scud pattern is tied on a straight or slightly curved hook. I have done both over the years and when I do use a straight hook, I tie the body slightly onto the bend of the hook to simulate the turned down telson and last few segments. This is evident in the Yum Yum patters suggested by SilverCreek where the back material is bent down slightly at the back end.

No shortage of patterns to choose from there, flytire. I particularly like #6 from the top - it would work well as either an infected scud or a "pregnant" scud with eggs or first instar juveniles in its marsupium.