Fly Tying
flytire

local "fly shop"

i just went to my local "fly shop" (cabelas in east hartford, connecticut) and boy was that a complete disappointment from what it was a couple of years ago 👎👎

my local chinese food take away shop has more items on its menu than cabelas had on their fly tying material peg boards

maybe the cabelas in trout country areas have better supplies eastern connecticut isnt a trout mecca

oh well its off to bears den fly shop in taunton massachusettes on tuesday

i wish jstockard had a retail store 👍

Actually, I'm glad that js DOESN'T have a local store - I'd be there ALL the time!  It is a big disappointment when your shopping list is larger than a stores total inventory.  I nam lucky here in central NY in that I hve not one but two fine true local fly fishing shops in my immediate area.

Kim

Cabelas went down the drain after they merged with bass pro a few years ago. They are one and the same now. 

2 hours ago, flymanaj said:

Cabelas went down the drain after they merged with bass pro a few years ago. They are one and the same now. 

Yup, that was the case at my closest Cabela's as well, at least as far as fly fishing.  It was never up to the level of a "real' fly shop. My closest fly shops have closed in recent years and Sportsmans Warehouse has also been taken over by BPS. It means driving father or shopping online for me.

I have one very close, too close, but it's a big help when I need something quickly. I enjoy talking with guys and spending money.

Cabelas has gone in a similar direction up here in the great white north. Luckily we do have a dedicated fishing shop that stocks a reasonable amount of tying materials - but certainly no where as good as Denny's Fly Tying that used to be the go-to shop back in the 80's. Reg Denny has long since passed away and the shop has sadly closed its doors.

Can’t remember how many fly shopsI filled orders for through the years - that aren’t around any more.  Put simply, they’re an endangered species… 

3 hours ago, Jaydub said:

Yup, that was the case at my closest Cabela's as well, at least as far as fly fishing.  It was never up to the level of a "real' fly shop. My closest fly shops have closed in recent years and Sportsmans Warehouse has also been taken over by BPS. It means driving father or shopping online for me.

I hear ya! My closest fly shop is 2 hours away in Louisville.

12 hours ago, mikemac1 said:

FYI, I don’t feel your pain.

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/blog/fly-shops-abound/

i didnt have the pain when ilived in the denver area in the 1980's

anglers all, trout fisher, royal stevens, colorado angler etcv

norwich, ct isnt exactly a fly fishing mecca 😢

I don’t have fond memories of local fly shops simply because I can’t remember any local fly shops. Most fly shops seem to open in trout country. I don’t live in trout country and my local fly shop was always a drive. The fly shops I remember were largely incorporated into regular old bait and tackle shops so selection was always an issue as well. My local cabelas is 1.5 hours away and has also gone down hill after the merger with BPS. It’s fly shop use to be pretty good and is more or less holding steady. It is located very very close to trout Mecca. A sportsman warehouse just opened about 15 minutes from me. I call it Dicks without workout clothes. It has a little bit of a lot but doesn’t really excel in any segment of angling. It does have an almost decent fly tying section of all things. More and more I simply buy my very few fly tying needs on line. That’s as local as it gets. 

We have two ORVIS stores within driving distance right in towns nearby but  it isn't worth it.  The fly fishing department in each is clearly an after thought judging by the space devoted and common, limited,  offerings. And the service in one is clueless about the sport and spotty in the other one. FORGET Orvis "Sales" coupms which never apply to FF gear.  Now if I wanted them to dress me.....

The best non-chain shop is an hour drive away but very well stocked and staffed and near some good waters.

19 hours ago, flytire said:

i just went to my local "fly shop" (cabelas in east hartford, connecticut) and boy was that a complete disappointment from what it was a couple of years ago 👎👎

my local chinese food take away shop has more items on its menu than cabelas had on their fly tying material peg boards

maybe the cabelas in trout country areas have better supplies eastern connecticut isnt a trout mecca

oh well its off to bears den fly shop in taunton massachusettes on tuesday

i wish jstockard had a retail store 👍

Norm I was at the East Hartford store a couple of weeks ago and the walls were empty, I could have saved you the trip.  The Cabela's up the road from my office in Marlborough Ma is in the same sad state.  Lots and lots of empty pegs on the peg board.  I stop in there probably once per week at lunch and they have been empty since July.  I ran into 2 of the fly shop staff on a river a few week back and all they could say is they were doing what that could to get new stock but nothing so far.  My 2 closest independent fly shops Concord Outfitters and JT's are well stocked but they're not as easy for me to get to.    

Supply chain issues are starting to hurt everywhere and fly tying will probably not be exempt.  Saturday I went to 2 supermarkets and 2 convenience stores looking for hot dog buns without success, resulting in four disappointed grandchildren.  It sucks to use really expensive gas on trip to be greeted by empty shelves.