Fly Tying
flytire

Forming Good Habits

On 10/27/2021 at 9:32 AM, chugbug27 said:

Whoa. I'm getting a whistle.

On 10/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, cphubert said:

All good points, I would add for us older fishermen add a whistle to your vest or pack. In the past I spent most of a long night looking for a older friend overdue from his walk back to camp, when we found him he said that we walked by him a couple of times he herd us calling for him but he didn't hear him over the running water and he was tired and laying on the cold rocks with a broken leg from a fall. May not be as important today with cell phones unless you are out of tower range or break or drown the thing in a fall.

This is worth taking a look at-  Derek is a small stream fly fisher and often fishes some remote areas with little chance of running into another person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_YhflfaNbw

Carry some bug spray with you or bug netting for your hat

Check yourself for ticks especially when youre in wooded areas

Leave those bird feathers on the ground. Theyre most likely illegal anyways

Mash down hook barbs. Youll be glad you did to prevent an emergecy room visit to have it removed from wherever it stuck on you

Beware of the poisons - Ivy, Oak and Sumac

23 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

As a rod builder I will tell you guys another one that I get a lot that isn't on the list...

Never install a ceiling fan in your rod room. You honestly would not believe it but I have had a good deal of repairs due to guys that don't follow that rule lol

I believe it!

Never give up!!

Many years ago I lost one Simms wading boot gator on the river.  I was really bummed.  I got those gators on a fly fishing trip with my dad in Oregon a few years before.  All of the walking in the tall grass and weeds got these prickly things stuck on the gator.  Anyway, I was on another trip a YEAR later and fishing about the same spot.  They were generating and the water was high.  Something was floating toward me so I picked it up.  Well, it was my missing gator, replete with those little prickly things, that decided to come back to Papa a year later.

Some things you just can't explain in rational terms.  True story.