Fly Tying
cphubert

Dogless

This past year or so I have lost a few close friends to cancer, old age, or covid. I lost my fishing partner Libby this week she was 17 years and 5 months, I described her as a purebred American Fishhound cleverly disguised as a Rat Terrier. She could be found in the bow of a canoe ,  waiting streamside,  in my pack (pictured with me walking up the trail on the Cheticamp River, NS) or in my waders with me. We have lost three dogs within the last 18 months. I do not pretend to think that this compares to losing a human family member but I feel the loss and miss her snoring on my lap or waiting for me to catch a fish for her inspection. Their will be other dogs in my life but she was special, I rescued her from a home where she was a chew toy for a pit at 8 months old with a broken leg, free dogs are never free, but she rehabbed quite well and had a great life traveling the East Coast and the Maritime's as  my fishing partner. Just needed to express myself thanks for listening.

libby3.jpg

You are right, it does not compare, but that does not make the loss any easier.  My condolences, especially on three in such a short time.  17 is a good long life for a pooch. 

We have lost many over the years, all rescues, but always adopt another soon after, gluttons for the eventual punishment of heartbreak, I guess.  The one we have now is the best one we've ever had, I think.  My wife says that I say the same thing about all of our dogs, and I do.  Isn't that the way it should be?

Been through that, too. 17 years is a long time for a dog.

A stray adopted us us about 18 years ago. We had him put down as he was having seizures every hour and couldn't control himself. We now have two that were found along side the road. Had them for about 10 years.

Thought: Why did the people dump two 5 week old puppies along a road to get run over by traffic????? Take them to a shelter or a vet clinic!!!!!

My sincere condolences for your loss. 

Unlike a human, our four legged children rarely talk back, never wreck the car, get drunk at an illegal party, etc.  So, after that many years with a 100% sweet child, I think the loss IS equivalent.

You, truly, have my deepest sympathies.

i feel your loss, but you have an outstanding photo there!   we have 3 bloodhounds of which 2 are 9yrs, other rescued one is 6yrs.

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you gave Libby a long happy life, and she gave you many years of great memories to remember her by. Never easy to lose a good four legged friend, but our lives are better for having them in it.

It's hard to lose a loyal canine friend. May I suggest that anyone who has a special pet to take some photos for future. I neglected to take photos of our dogs over the years. Maybe one or two in the archives but memories last your lifetime.

On 10/27/2021 at 8:33 AM, cphubert said:

This past year or so I have lost a few close friends to cancer, old age, or covid. I lost my fishing partner Libby this week she was 17 years and 5 months, I described her as a purebred American Fishhound cleverly disguised as a Rat Terrier. She could be found in the bow of a canoe ,  waiting streamside,  in my pack (pictured with me walking up the trail on the Cheticamp River, NS) or in my waders with me. We have lost three dogs within the last 18 months. I do not pretend to think that this compares to losing a human family member but I feel the loss and miss her snoring on my lap or waiting for me to catch a fish for her inspection. Their will be other dogs in my life but she was special, I rescued her from a home where she was a chew toy for a pit at 8 months old with a broken leg, free dogs are never free, but she rehabbed quite well and had a great life traveling the East Coast and the Maritime's as  my fishing partner. Just needed to express myself thanks for listening.

CP you have been blessed to have known the love and loyalty of a true friend.   Have pity for those who live their entire lives never knowing the wonderful joys of a good dog.  I'm sorry for your loss-

Oliver.PNG.f01f1df4064bd1f8b11cacc6c20c8813.PNG