Fly Tying

I tie a mouse similar to Whitlocks but I don't put ears or eyes on them. I've got a 50/50 shot of losing them in the wood at night so I don't bother with the cosmetics very often.

I tie one with deer hair. Pretty simple if you know how to spin deer hair. Send me a message if you want a pic. Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Call Chris Helm at Whitetail Fly tying Supplies. (800) 579-5549. He ties these, and can give you experienced instruction, material, and tools to tie them yourself. He can make them for you, but he charges for his time. Expect a hefyt pricetag if he makes them for you. It might be worth the price to buy one for an example to tie from.

post-2-1114354921.jpg

tdeyette tied mice for the lm bass swap I'm hosting they look like a winner to me, I'm sure he can probably post a pic or tying instructions if yo ask him

Royce Dam tyes a thing called the Artic Shrew--a mouse.

He has a dvd about $20.00--worth the price and you can see him do it over and over. Plus it shows a diver and a froggie popper.

Royce tyes the mouse with caribou--takes about 5 minutes: his has ears, eyes and whiskers. Slick & simple. biggrin.gif

I use it a lot.

Royce Dam 1-414-475-4599

Tell him George sent ya along.

Fish hates mices to pieces....

Without seeing your fly I can almost guarantee that it will work...often times the sloppier a mouse looks in the vice the better it works for fish.

I tie mice in the Whitlock fashion for just this reason...

Gartside ties a "mouse" using nothing but pheasant aftershaft feathers...it doesn't float and doesn't look like much in the vice but catches fish wicked awesome.

SJ I would be interested in the phot too, I want to try something like that for pike.

To be realistic, any mouse fly that floats on the surface really doesn't need the details of eyes, whiskers, ears, etc. A spun body clipped to shape along with a tail is really all that's needed to create the correct silhouette on the water.

That being said, I've seen some great flies (including the pic above) that can be considered very artistic in detail. And they too will definitely catch fish.

Right on Dble haul,

My favorite mouse pattern is the gary lafontaine 'Creature' pattern. It's really simple and deadly. Use a stinger hook, as you will need the wide gap. The underbody can be either a balsa wood, or commercial hard foam body or wrapped open cell foam. A rabbit strip is tied in at the rear of the hook, with a short sheared tag for the tail, and then wrapped forward for the body and tied off at the head. Of course, additional durabilty can be achieved by putting a coating of glue on the foam underbody prior to wrapping with the rabbit strip.

I can attest to this pattern's effectiveness....

keep it deep,

whippersnapper

post-2-1114727892.jpg

If you look under ridderbos3, contest patterns you will see one of the coolest mice flies I have ever seen. It is under steelhead/salmon.

Mouse patterns are great! I don't bother with eyes or ears, just a 3 inch black hackle and spun deer hair. I hardly even bother trimming. Just remember to fish it with a heavy (12-15 lb) leader to avoid losing it to trees and brush in the dark.