Fly Tying
Connor

Uses for pheasant rump patch

Hi, 

I purchased a few pheasant rump patches to tie some octopus patterns for lough trout here in ireland. However i will never get through all those feathers. I was hoping someone could give me some examples of other (uk) patterns that they could used for?

Thank you very much.

Kindest regards, 

Connor 

IMG_20211027_223555.jpg

Mrs. Simpson, some nice crawdad patterns, and Jack Gartside's Sparrow pattern are 3 that immediately come to mind.

Kim

The Tabou Caddis Emerger is an excellent pattern the uses the Whiting Brahma saddle feathers. You can use the aftershaft feather from a Pheasant body feathers. Check at the base of those church window feathers for the downy aftershaft "philoplume" feather at the base. 

All_Images_upto_2011_490_1024x1024.jpg?v

Use the philoplume in the place of the Chickabou feather to tie the Tabou caddis emerger.

https://globalflyfisher.com/patterns-tie-better/the-tabou-caddis-emerger

2 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Use the philoplume in the place of the Chickabou feather to tie the Tabou caddis emerger.

Nice tip, thanks.

@Conner, not sure what a UK pattern is, but I second Kimba's suggested patterns.  Jack Gartside, the creator of the 'Sparrow' pattern, was a big fan of using pheasant for tying.  Although he passed away about 10 years ago, his website is still available with a good amount of info on/patterns using pheasant feathers.  

you can use pheasant rump feathers in any patterns you want to tie

use them as substitutes for soft hackles, wing cases, tails, legs, streamer/wet fly wings, bodies etc

henshaws old faithful

Henshaws-Old-Faithful-Side-1080-down.jpg

carey special

Carey-Special-1080.jpg

gimp nymph

Gimp-Nymph-1080.jpg

mrs simpson

Mrs-Simpson-1080.jpg

type "flies using pheasant rump feathers" into your favorie search engine. youll find a bunch of flies

be creative, experiment

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have never seen nor heard tell of a mrs simpson or caddis emerger. I will give them a try!

I thought they may be too stiff/similar to cock hackle with not enough movement to be used as substitute soft hackle, but I will also give that a try. 

Apologies, what i meant by uk patterns was along the lines of bumbles, dabblers, mayflies sedges etc. I have seen some patterns used in USA and Canada but I am unsure how well they would work for wild fish in mountain lakes here in ireland/Scotland. For example i have never seen anyone use a mrs simpson or even seen it in any tackle shops. Maybe I have les a sheltered life :)

Thanks again I appreciate any the advice! 

The Mrs. Simpson was developed on the North island of New Zealand and was part of a "series"/style of tying called the Killer style of fly.  It was so enticing to the fish that it was named the Mrs. Simpson - for Wallis Simpson, the twice divorced woman that caused King Edward VIII to abdicate his throne because of his love for her.

If you like the Killer style check this site out - Feathered Lures (fishingmag.co.nz).   We call feathered lures streamers.  If you look near the upper right hand side you can click on dries, nymphs, and wet flies for those patterns as well - many are effective patterns for US waters as well.

Hope this helps.

Kim

BTW, here's a very nice tying video for the Mrs. Simpson (and basically all Killer-style flies) - The Mrs Simpson, An Adventures In Fly Tying Video From Fly Fish Ohio

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

The Mrs. Simpson was developed on the North island of New Zealand and was part of a "series"/style of tying called the Killer style of fly.  It was so enticing to the fish that it was named the Mrs. Simpson - for Wallis Simpson, the twice divorced woman that caused King Edward VIII to abdicate his throne because of his love for her.

If you like the Killer style check this site out - Feathered Lures (fishingmag.co.nz).   We call feathered lures streamers.  If you look near the upper right hand side you can click on dries, nymphs, and wet flies for those patterns as well - many are effective patterns for US waters as well.

Hope this helps.

Kim

BTW, here's a very nice tying video for the Mrs. Simpson (and basically all Killer-style flies) - The Mrs Simpson, An Adventures In Fly Tying Video From Fly Fish Ohio

Thank you very much @WWKimba for the explanation and links. I will 100% give it a go and give it a throw when I am next out in the water. 

Pheasant rump makes great long nymph legs when wrapped.

Carey special

spacer.png

Floating Dragonfly Nymph

spacer.png