Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
danthebugman

Revenge is a dish...

...best served with rice.

Last time I visited a nearby trout park I got skunked. Today I went back better prepared and had a fantastic day. Landed 12", 15", and 16" rainbows. Lost several nice ones also, but that's how it goes sometimes. Black woolly buggers were the go to.

IMG_20211030_192446_428.jpg

IMG_20211030_192446_447.jpg

8 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

What’s a trout park?

A put and take lake or stream, sometimes where you pay for the lbs of fish you catch. You can tell that the fish below has been raised it's entire life in a hatchery by the tail fin is almost worn away by being in a concrete raceway!

Yep.  We have several places in Missouri where the Dept of Conservation has fish hatcheries.  They stock the waters and it's a popular place for people to go.  It's the only streams I keep fish on.

It’s just a stocked trout stream? Why are they called parks? Do you have to pay to fish there? Our stocked fish are not really great tasting. 

We don't have 'Trout Parks' in MA, although they do stock plenty of the streams/lakes throughout the state, once or twice, a few even three times a year.  I guess any well stocked tailwater could be considered a 'Trout Park', as Tom McGuane called them: 'the theme parks of American fly fishing'.  

Connecticut has them, although I have never been to one.  They are geared, at least in CT, toward young kids/families and people with accessibility issues: easy access, restroom facilities, etc.  They also get stocked a lot more often, weekly in come cases.  

Yeah, I’m familiar with stocked streams I’ve just never heard them referred to as a park. Either that’s a regional term or it’s an actual pay to fish type park, the latter being foreign to me. A place for kids, families and those with limited mobility actually sounds heartwarming. 

You have to buy a daily trout tag for the park, which is $4, and have a state fishing license. There's a catch and release season which is the second week of November to the first weekend in March and during that time you don't need a trout tag.

There's more than just fishing though...there's camp grounds, picnic shelter areas, and some playgrounds. A lot of people go for family vacations and what not. Which also means that it's pretty crowded so not a great time if you're wanting some solitude.

3 hours ago, Moshup said:

Nice !  Love your choice of beer !

Yep, I'm gonna look for some of that.

Unless I'm mistaken, I would say that the fish in Dan's first picture and SCs picture have clipped tail fins (meaning they were pen raised) If they were worn down from concrete, wouldn't only the bottom of the tail be worn? It could be I'm just splitting hairs, I apologize for that.😄 It also appears that the rays of the tail continue where the "clip" ended. If worn, I think the wear would continue straight across the grain of the rays.