Fly Tying
Alc609

Feathers

Based on the small size and the dot ... Wife (an avid bird watcher) thinks they are from a Red Bellied Woodpecker.

Flicker.  I find them often and I think it’s because they’re an easy mark for the hawks in the neighborhood.

Bird. Parks and your bird feeders are great for finding feathers. Found a full peacock feather at a park.

Interesting, to me at least: 

The Northern Flicker, in the eastern US aka the Yellow-shafted Flicker, the Yellowhammer (or Yallow hammer), among other names.  Apparently, the split primary wing feather of this bird is the basis of the legendary 'Yallow hammer' fly pattern of the southern Appalachians.  The creation of which is historically attributed to the native Americans of the region which was passed down to the settlers.   

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Interesting, to me at least: 

The Northern Flicker, in the eastern US aka the Yellow-shafted Flicker, the Yellowhammer (or Yallow hammer), among other names.  Apparently, the split primary wing feather of this bird is the basis of the legendary 'Yallow hammer' fly pattern of the southern Appalachians.  The creation of which is historically attributed to the native Americans of the region which was passed down to the settlers.   

I found these outside a large glass window, bet I flew into it 

18 hours ago, Alc609 said:

I found these outside a large glass window, bet I flew into it 

Be darn careful there. Flying into windows has gotten several people cut up and in the hospital for stitches over the year.