Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Foam shrimp that caught me tons of reds

After I found some flats on my last redfish trip, I decided to design a fly for that area. I wanted something light, and easy to cast. Something that wouldn't slap the water too hard and spook the redfish, and I wanted something that would fish hook point up so I didnt get snagged on the bottom. So I put together a couple versions of this fly and stuck it in my bag for my next trip. Then I went down to the gulf to fish redfish again, went back to the flats area, and wham! This fly worked! Redfish loved this little foam shrimp. It sits perfectly on the bottom with its feelers sticking up, and it sinks super slow, but still rides hook point up. Not to mention it also looks great as well!

One of the bests tying videos I have seen. You take your time to show each step plus telling why it is done. Some will edit the goofs but including them shows two things: everyone makes  mistakes and how to recover from the goof. The pattern has lots of potential for various species. Tie in various sizes and colors to give a wide range of fishing opportunities.  My first thought was a smaller size for carp. Large trout and stream fishing for smallmouth bass would be in the list, too.

Thanks for sharing the video.👍

I can see a couple pheasant feathers on each side for claws for a nice fresh water pattern!

Kim

Another great fly, especially like how it sinks with head vertical. 
 Would work well for bass in crawdad colors.

Very cool little shrimp!  I'll have to give it a try locally, but, as others have suggested, I think I'll also need to tie a few up as crayfish patterns for freshwater.  I think this pattern could be a great "micro-craw" for the local carp.

Chris

On 11/4/2021 at 9:46 AM, skeet3t said:

One of the bests tying videos I have seen. You take your time to show each step plus telling why it is done. Some will edit the goofs but including them shows two things: everyone makes  mistakes and how to recover from the goof. The pattern has lots of potential for various species. Tie in various sizes and colors to give a wide range of fishing opportunities.  My first thought was a smaller size for carp. Large trout and stream fishing for smallmouth bass would be in the list, too.

Thanks for sharing the video.👍

Thanks Skeet, yeah I see it doing well as a crayfish pattern for carp and smallmouth in rivers as well.   I plan on doing a few tweaks to make it more "crayfish" looking soon. 

On 11/4/2021 at 11:59 AM, WWKimba said:

I can see a couple pheasant feathers on each side for claws for a nice fresh water pattern!

Kim

Great idea.  

On 11/4/2021 at 2:14 PM, fshng2 said:

Another great fly, especially like how it sinks with head vertical. 
 Would work well for bass in crawdad colors.

Thank you, yes for sure crawdad version will be coming soon.  

9 hours ago, Chris_in_Louisiana said:

Very cool little shrimp!  I'll have to give it a try locally, but, as others have suggested, I think I'll also need to tie a few up as crayfish patterns for freshwater.  I think this pattern could be a great "micro-craw" for the local carp.

Chris

Thank you Chris, yeah for sure a small crayfish pattern no question.   Let me know how your crayfish version comes out.