Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Handgun owners Part 2

Well be hitting the range a lot since getting the new Glock 48. Love the gun, going to be a really nice EDC once I get the permit to carry. Actually already took my CPL class and got my certificate, so just have to apply to get the permit, but figure I'll wait a few more months till I get really well versed/use to the new Glock before I start carrying.

Question for the pistol shooters here. As someone that has always been into rifles, it's taking me a bit to get use to the pistol. Grip is good I believe, I'm using a real high thumbs fwd grip I've learned from watching Warrior Poet where he shows his grip. I added a flared magwell today which I really like the feel of and I think helps my larger hands to keep recoil/muzzle flip down.

Issue I'm trying to over come though, shooting about 60% of my rds low/left. I'm not sure if I'm anticipating the recoil and pushing the muzzle downward as I pull the trigger? I'm not seeing that myself whicl I shoot, or in the short vid above. I don't "think" I'm pulling/knuckling the trigger, I'm tryin to feel the wall and squeeze. If I was pulling or knuckling the trigger it would be more off to the right wouldn't it?

New flared magwell, and you can see about half the rds low left. Most the red zone was me aiming high right.

FadGg7c.jpg

d5lFb3B.jpg

Any help/advice from those here a bit more exp on the low left shooting would be appreciated.

Milking is as good a term as any. My instructor always called it strangling. Take all three of the tips the guy in the video gave and put them into play and you should see an improvement. Also anticipation can cause low/right shots as well,but once you get the grip adjusted and get used to where the trigger breaks, that anticipation should go away

Greg thank you for that vid. I was looking on youtube a bit ago but didn't see that vid till you posted it.

I think you are correct as well. When I read what you said about it not being in line with my right arm, I instantly thought "what, he's crazy I'm in line". So I just went down to the shop, picked up the Glock and pressed it out in front like I do when shooting...I'll be damned, I am actually centering it when I shoot. So I should try to keepit directly in line with my right arm then? I just tried that, but makes me feel like I have to move my head to the right though which feel weird, is that normal?

Keep it in line with your right forearm. Right now the gun is centered and then your right wrist and elbow break outward. Actually same with with left wrist and elbow leaving the gun as the center point. Don’t break the wrist and You should be able to traverse the gun to your eye. A little cant of the head is acceptable but you don’t want to be laying it on your shoulder. 

one other area I’d look at is the grip of the left hand. It’s something you have to see from looking from behind when shooting. The left side of the grip has to be held flat against a flat palm. A lot of new shooters will only hold the grip with the bottom portion of the left hand  and angle the top of the palm away from the top of the grip. If you give the gun a space to move to when it’s being fired it will move to that space during the process of firing. That’s bad. Just make sure the left palm is held flat to the grip from the mag well all the way to the top of the grip. You should have no gap here. Good luck

While I don't disagree with any of the suggestions above, I think your target grouping shows a sight picture problem.  I don't see the side to side swing of hits that I've seen with "jerky" shooters I've worked with.

What I'm seeing is a fairly good grouping below target center.  Either your sights aren't aligned correctly, or you're not getting a consistent picture with them.  Wife's got a revolver with sights that are flush when properly aimed. She was always shooting low until we got her to correctly sight in on the target.  She wanted to see more, so was sighting in as seen on the right, below.  They can be adjusted side to side, but not up and down.  

image.png

Thanks guys. Gonna hopefully hit the range again later this coming week. I've been trying to see if I can tell if I am milking the grip when dry firing, and it's hard to know for sure because you know in your head there is no recoil coming so you don't really squeeze/grip the same way as you would when you are at the range live firing. But with that said I did notice a few times during the dry firing practice that I would dip the front down every once in a while. So if I'm doing that dry firing even a few times, then I may be doing that even more live firing.

I'm trying to spend a little time practicing pulling my index finger straight back without moving my 3 grip fingers when I get a few minutes here & there. Sounds like such an easy thing to do, but I'm finding it certainly is something that is involuntary. Gives me something to work on now.

If you know when the round will fire, you aren't pulling the trigger correctly.  The pull of your finger should be so smooth that the actual shot is a bit of a surprise.  I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but it's true.  Trying to quickly pull the trigger when the sights are lined up center target = jerking the trigger.

Your sights wander off target a little while you're squeezing the trigger.  But that wandering is actually small in error.  If you try to pull the trigger when the sights are dead center, you're jerking the trigger and that will always throw your aim off more.

Mikey, that is interesting. I teach my archery team in a unique way, anyway to me. Rather than try to hold on the center of the target and wave the bow around like conducting the New York Philharmonic, I show them how to "sneak up" on the target. I do the same with handgun. I hold off to the side and slowly move toward the X while gently but firmly squeezing the trigger. One can time the shot on the target with lots of practice and ammo.

One thing working with youth and women, not the "Tactical Timmys" (iM a MaN aNd AlReAdY kNoW hOw To ShOoT) I encourage a lot of dry fire with a nickel or two on the slide through the trigger "press"... I use the word 'press" not "squeeze" to help avert the milking... Squeeze inevitably leads to the whole hand/grip movement.

YMMV

3 hours ago, J-Kno said:

One thing working with youth and women, not the "Tactical Timmys" (iM a MaN aNd AlReAdY kNoW hOw To ShOoT) I encourage a lot of dry fire with a nickel or two on the slide through the trigger "press"... I use the word 'press" not "squeeze" to help avert the milking... Squeeze inevitably leads to the whole hand/grip movement.

YMMV

gOoD PoInT*

5 hours ago, J-Kno said:

I encourage a lot of dry fire with a nickel or two on the slide

That's a good one, I'll have to give that a go. Have been watching a number of vids on different things to try but that's the first I have heard that one 👍

3D printer comes in handy for just about anything 😎 Printed a Glock mag rack for my extra magazines. Came out really well and fits perfectly. Just have to pick up a spool of gray filament to reprint the final ones in gray rather than white.

TD6StOs.jpg

95C5k7H.jpg