Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Upper Mississippi River

Well, the weatherman lied again. It said the low yesterday morning was going to be 29 and be mostly sunny. The fog was bad from Monticello to Little Falls and the temperature dropped to 21. I have fished before in the cold and the line gets stiff and covered in a thin layer of ice with the guides so iced you cannot pull your line through the guides. I met up with the guide and we launched the drift boat and did the shuttle. Temperature rose to 28. Fortunately I had bought a jar of line de-icer from Loon and applied it to the guides and the first ten feet of line. It worked and the guides remained ice free and only a little build up on the line. The line was stiff so I started throwing the 10 weight. The morning was foggy/cloudy. 
2D044BBD-C2D9-40AE-890C-02C32B92C25D.thumb.jpeg.baa6ddb06517cfdde8bd915ca753dbcf.jpegHad a few strikes from pike, but they/I missed caught a couple at the start of the major and the lanes a very small musky.  Look how cute it is. 
27CF08CA-77B7-4EC8-82BC-FF7EE85172AE.thumb.jpeg.6864fa4f65ebcfaf07598e92112bb9a1.jpegCaught several additional pike in the afternoon and the temperature warmed to the mid 30s. It was end of another season and I am still trying to catch a 4 footer on the year. Wednesday the boat gets winterized and I prep the snowblower so I am ready for the next four months. A last look at the afternoon sun. 
F9CC0138-B3F1-4905-9CA3-FEF63E46AAE3.thumb.jpeg.b9ec6ec45d1dc4b04ca45d8cd636afd5.jpeg

God bless, ya - I don't take my rod out unless the temps are gonna hit the 40's (queue @mikechell comment).  Worth it though, cuz that is the prettiest musky I have even seen, though I haven't seen many.    

Thanks, it was a very good looking fish. It would have looked better if it was two feet longer. I threw the 12 weight for about a third of the time. Today the hands are hurting. 

First ... nice colors on that fish!

Second ... where's all the leaves that are supposed to be on those trees?  One of the things I don't like about the Winter months ... everything looks dead.

Last ... freakin' brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

P.S. ... I was going to go fishing today, our school's honoring Veteran's day today.  (since next rotation is already down two days for Thanksgiving)  But, as fate would have it, it's raining.  We've gotten 3.52 inches of rain just since 5:00 this morning.

A good finish to a fine year. I was going to put my boat away this weekend and low and behold an entire week of sun and low 60’s. I got at least one more trip. 

Nice color & pattern on him Tom. Musky fishing is funny, it's about the only freshwater fish you can catch that is 2 ft long and yet call it a lil' one😄

I love fishing in the cold every once in awhile. Not something I care to do often, but a trip or two each season when the temps dip into the 20's and snow is on the ground is kind'a nice every now & then :)

Fished opening day in NY and had line freeze to the guides. Simple thing is to spray your guides with Pam or any non-stick spray. A can will last for ages. Washes off with soap and water.

Edit- Caught a stocker muskie...ten inches long and full of teeth. Ugly with a capital UG.