Fly Tying
DFoster

What works for you trout fishing in the late fall?

I like the more subtle green, but the trout and salmon seem to like the bright chartreuse green better.  Red or red and chartreuse tags help.

This isn't my tie,  but an example of how I do tie them.  Hackle facing fore or aft doesn't seem to matter for me.  I use brown or orange hackle and also try brown or black deer hair.  I pack them fairly dense and fish it wet.  For fun with dries look into bombers or even better "Carter's bug"  tied ala Bryant Freeman.  (Just learned some bad news looking up the spelling of Bryant's name.  He is no more.  I was looking forward to seeing him again at an annual sportsman show.  He will be missed by many.)

image.jpeg.48a461e30bb0829183b132542e809284.jpeg

On 2/17/2022 at 8:40 AM, WJG said:

I like the more subtle green, but the trout and salmon seem to like the bright chartreuse green better.  Red or red and chartreuse tags help.

This isn't my tie,  but an example of how I do tie them.  Hackle facing fore or aft doesn't seem to matter for me.  I use brown or orange hackle and also try brown or black deer hair.  I pack them fairly dense and fish it wet.  For fun with dries look into bombers or even better "Carter's bug"  tied ala Bryant Freeman.  (Just learned some bad news looking up the spelling of Bryant's name.  He is no more.  I was looking forward to seeing him again at an annual sportsman show.  He will be missed by many.)

image.jpeg.48a461e30bb0829183b132542e809284.jpeg

Thanks for the response.  That's the bomber pattern I thought you were talking about, not to be confused with the "Little" Green Machine below.

I stopped at one of my local fly shops yesterday, they had bright chartreuse but only in buck tail, not body hair.  I don't tie a lot of deer hair fly's but I'm told buck tail doesn't splay correctly and was advised it would not work.   So I may have to tie a few in a more subdued natural green until the bright stuff arrives.  

Nothing I need right away, I'm just doing my time through the single digit artic weather by filling the empty spaces in my boxes.  Enticing takes in the late fall when the weather first turns cold has always proved to be a challenge for me.  I'm looking forward to trying a range of new flies this late season.

Thanks again!

image.png.17ff8a72575dbdbae34d8b4ab409d68e.png

For these little buck bugs I do use buck tail.  They are packed fairly dense and trimmed small.  Hair tips and butts never make it to the final product.  Notice how the underside is trimmed closer to the hook shank as not to crowd the point or lessen the gape too much.

18 minutes ago, WJG said:

For these little buck bugs I do use buck tail.  They are packed fairly dense and trimmed small.  Hair tips and butts never make it to the final product.  Notice how the underside is trimmed closer to the hook shank as not to crowd the point or lessen the gape too much.

Alright then I'll give it a try-