Fly Tying
SalarMan

Fly Fishing "Firsts"

I was looking through some old photos on my computer to use as my desk top when I ran across one that brought back a very distinct memory.

Now...come 2022 I will be celebrating my 59th year of fly fishing. The photo from 2009 shows me with my first Muddler Minnow caught fish. It only took me all those years to finally catch a fish on one of the best known and deadly patterns of all time.

The fish is an Atlantic Salmon taken and released unharmed from The Ledges pool on The Falls stretch of the Dartmouth River near Gaspe, Quebec. Approximate weight - 8 to 10 pounds.

I know I have more such memories, but some too old to have photos except for those tucked in the back of my mind.

I hope some of you will share your fly fishing firsts here.

George

Bright Creek 056 (2).jpg

Great idea for a topic, hope to to see a bunch of photos.  I've been fishing so long any 'first' photo I post will be in black and white, If I can even find one.   

I recall fishing for trout in upstate NY on the Saturday after opening day. Had to shake the rod to get rid of ice. My son and I fished a stream here in Tennessee when there was skim ice along the edges of the pools. FFing in cold weather isn't any different than deer hunting, skiing, bobsledding, etc., in cold weather. One just dresses for it. BTW, lived in places where winter temps didn't get above zero for a month.

I'll add another. I mean after all these years with fly rod in hand there had to be s few special moments HA😄 HA:P HA😁 HA😎!!!

This time I accomplished 2 things on my Atlantic Salmon (AS) bucket list. First...I started fishing for AS in 1974 on the Matane River in Quebec. I took a 10 pound fish and things were never the same for me.

As the years went by my goal of a 20 pound plus fish continued to elude me. That along with an AS on a dry fly was also missing from my resume. I didn't fish dries often for these fish and that contributed to that lack of success. Then on the morning of July 3, 2010 I was once again on The Falls beat of the Dartmouth. I took and released 2 grilse in the 5 pound range before 8:00 AM. My guide and friend coerced me into putting on a dry. I was about to give up after about 45 minutes or so, but he insisted. Sure enough a fish rose, took the fly...a #2 Green Bomber...and the battle began. About 18 minutes later Jason hand tailed the fish and informed me I'd crossed that 20 pound barrier. The fish was 39 1/2" long plus 21 1/2" around the girth, and according to the Atlantic Salmon Federation's "Salmometer" it was 22+ pounds...and it was my first AS on a dry fly!!! Needless to say I was done for the day, so I just relaxed, enjoyed the beautiful day with camera in hand.

Cheers,
George

P1030625 (4).JPG

I generally fish alone so no one is there to take a photo of my "firsts".  I did take this photo last week- My grandson with his first Fall Fish on a fly.  He was using my  5' 3" 3wt and this fish put up a hell of a fight.   I think he's "hooked"- 😄

IMG_1268.thumb.JPG.4f3175745c981b1f0a6ab6b0e8f4403c.JPG

DFoster, now he will want FFing stuff for Christmas and his birthday. Good photo and looks like you will be spending lots of time with him. Treasure those moments and take lots of photos.

Not trout...but my first fish ever. Yellow perch caught on some kind of fly with a piece of a worm on the hook. I still remember it like it was yesterday.

3-6-2009_006.JPG

14 hours ago, skeet3t said:

DFoster, now he will want FFing stuff for Christmas and his birthday. Good photo and looks like you will be spending lots of time with him. Treasure those moments and take lots of photos.

Thanks Skeet, his dad takes him fishing with spinning tackle but I'm the only fly angler in the family (at least for now 😜). I have been blessed by God with two wonderful daughters who despite both being college educated in the greater Boston area are still sane.  They're both married to solid guys and our entire family does everything we can to be positive influences for all 6 of the grandchildren.  The boy went on a successful bow hunt with his father last week and saw the 8 pointer before his dad did.  You can't beat young eyes and hearing!

Here is another first photo from this September, one of my 5 granddaughters with her first solo fish on a fly rod and on a fly that she tied with a little help from me.  Solo meaning I never touched the rod. After a few refresher casting lessons on our lawn we hit the stream.  She made the roll cast, saw the take, set the hook and landed the fish.  All with minimal coaching from me.   She caught 8 more in a little over an hour of fishing.  Great memories for me to be sure.  You never know what passions a child will find in life as they grow but I hope at least one of them will stick with the sport.  I have to leave all this stuff to somebody! 

h.jpg.4e4bfb9450a58f83f3fe8b24e5a871e8.jpg

19 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

My first (and only) tiger rockfish on a fly.

DSCF1987.JPG

Wow Mark- Tiger Rock Fish, is that from Alaskan waters?  It almost looks like it should be on a tropical reef somewhere.