Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

BETTER Squirmy Wormy?!?

I'm sure that very few in this forum have even heard of a Squirmy (HA!), but here's a variation I came across and wanted to share. It's a technique I prefer to use in larger sizes and have had good success with it. The technique isn't foolproof, as the dental bands lashed onto the hook will eventually fail, but overall, the pattern has more longevity than the traditional tie...plus allows for a quick change of color when on the water!

TC

'What is this world coming to' indeed, LOL. 

Didn't have time to watch the whole video yet, but that's pretty clever.  Wonder how long before someone packages the hook tied with the bead and dental bands along with a selection of different colored squirmy material.  You can make your own flies without thread or a vise!

I wouldn't go to all that trouble with a squirmy-wormy, but to each his own. They're so easy to tie. It's a cool idea though.

I can't take credit for the idea, but here is an EZ squirmy:

#14 curved caddis hook with a 1/8" tungsten bead:

IMG_6183.jpg.4897b92b64bfbf4a6ec27551c0f08811.jpg

Add a thread bump 2/3rds back from the hook eye and a drop of superglue:

IMG_6184.jpg.737257537e034b7672259ecaa7235701.jpg

Using 0.3mm wire as a threader, pass it through the bead and put the end of the squirmy in the loop:

IMG_6185.jpg.ae2c5f507bfd641105007965588ff6c0.jpg

Wet the squirmy material and pull it through the bead:

IMG_6186.jpg.72577dcee4134ba480f5b42d30b5391b.jpg

Add a thread bump in front to trap the bead, place a drop of superglue on the thread only, and trim the squirmy to length:

IMG_6187.jpg.20706599734cc199bae7f43a79e308c5.jpg

Once the squirmy gets beat up just save the hook, cut the front thread bump off and thread another piece of squirmy through the bead, securing it with a new thread bump. Not as quick to change out as yours, but does keep the expensive bits.