Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Peacock bass trip, 16 Nov

Took a morning off yesterday and did a bit of exploring in the roadside canals west of the urban area in Broward county and took a buddy with me that hasn't picked up a fly rod in years.  We found a bunch of small, dark peacocks in several spots - and they were eating flies like they were starved.  We both started out with a mix of spin and fly gear (me, with a 7wt ...), doing a bit of scouting before finding them.  Once we were on them they were eating clousers, four or five to the one my buddy,  local angler Mike Cole was getting tossing small topwater plugs.  I passed him my rod and he got in on the action as well... Here's a pic or two... 

KLUYVYm.jpg

not very big but full of energy, slamming the fly each time...and much darker than I expected them to be.. 

N9Oi6zt.jpg

Mike with his first peacock , pulling hard

oliyahV.jpg

as noted every one of them was quite dark except for the flaming orange and red around the gills and along their bellies... 

I think we'll have to do that again... 

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

I think most of our fish here in Florida are dark because most of our water is so dark.  Tannin stained to the point of resembling coffee. Seriously, it's clear as far as mud or silt, etc.  But it's so dark, my yellow paddle disappears within 12 to 18 inches below the surface.

16 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Trying to recall a show where they targeted snakeheads in the SOFL canals.

John that was an episode of River Monsters. Jeremy Wade had a guide take him out in the canals and they were catching a bunch of snakeheads.

Nice looking peacocks Bob, sounds like a fun & active way to spend the day :)

Steve-o, that was the show. I'm going to start a show and call it River Minnows after the fish that I catch.🤣😂

I’m enjoying it enough to add a 5wt rod to my arsenal for customers to use.  Other guides tell me that anyone using one will have a fight on their hands… 

I also have a short 9wt with a full Intermediate line to be able to work deep for the bigger peas that I’m dying to try…. More to follow when I can get back out there.  This past week down at Flamingo it’s fathers and sons.   Had a 9 year old get a solid 100lb tarpon (after I told them the waters were too cold for tarpon…) and an 11 yr old catch and release a Goliath grouper between 30 and 40lbs - neither of them on fly gear….  

Here's a pic or two...

wfOmI3s.jpg

Young Sam with his first speckled trout

n7EJYOn.jpg

Dad making sure Sam stays in the boat with big tarpon at close quarters and helping with the hard parts...

wf32mX0.jpg

A.J. with his very first goliath grouper... many of us have been asking the state to remove the "endangered status" and allow their biologists to establish a one fish per boat slot limit.  To put it mildly - we're up to our fannies in these fish - and any place they decide to hang out - they displace any other specie...

Great story and photos. Good to take the kids fishing. Later, they can take their grandpappies fishing.

All of my fishing reports end with this simple phrase…

”Be a hero… take a kid fishing”

I enjoy having kids aboard and try to make each day on the water a fun day for them… 

3 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

All of my fishing reports end with this simple phrase…

”Be a hero… take a kid fishing”

I enjoy having kids aboard and try to make each day on the water a fun day for them… 

Captain Bob, my complements to you!

Following that thought, my son lives in a subdivision that has a small pond. His kids like to fish there. It's a blast to watch them. The youngest a couple of years ago caught one little bluegill and she was done for the day. Maybe this coming summer will be a bit better. BTW, a local guy caught an 8 lb. largemouth bass there! From a pond not much over an acre in size, no less.