Fly Tying
tctrout

Is Fly Tying Worth It?

I get asked this question occasionally and decided to make a short video with my response. I actually broke it into two questions:

1.Can you save money tying?

2. Is fly tying worth it?

I'd love to hear your thoughts and see if they mirror any of mine in the video. Happy Thanksgiving!

Tim

I save lots of money because, as you stated, I am intentional. Not being a hoarder also helps. 

I also disagree with the difficulty. There is nothing difficult about tying a fly or learning to tie a fly. Is there a learning curve, yes but it’s a pretty straight road. Learning to tie to win contests and get the admiration of other fly tiers is a little more difficult but tying flies to fool something with a pea brain is not so difficult. I will readily admit that none of my flies will make the cover of tiers magazine but that is not my goal. 

I disagree with the price of tools. They are only expensive if you want them to be. A vise need only to hold a hook. It doesn’t take 500 bucks to accomplish such a simple task. A bobbin holds a spool of thread. I use to pay 2 bucks for ceramic insert bobbins. I have a couple dozen of them and every one I’ve ever bought still holds thread. Fiskars work great. 

That’s just me, I know I’m very different. I’m so different that I don’t get any extra satisfaction from catching a fish on a fly I tied myself. It’s just not difficult enough to make it a special or memorable event to ME.  I do enjoy tying during the winter and flooding weather so even if it did cost lots of money it would still be worth it. I know I spend more on cheesesteaks in a month than I do fly tying in a year. 

I haven't watched the video yet, but I will. My answer is always of course it's worth it. People tie for many reasons, not just to save money. It's almost like asking "Is reading a book worth it."

I tie to;

Unwind and relax, have time to myself

To make things I've never seen anyone else make, to get flies that are not otherwise obtainable to me.

In some cases I save money.

To let the creative side of my brain out

To astound my friends and impress members of the opposite sex.

It's worth it for all of these reasons except the last one. That one never works.

Now I'll watch the video.

These replies are perfect! It's like any hobby where you have to buy tools and materials and make an effort, make time/money to do it with no hope for profit, think jewelry making...I'm a cheapskate in that I don't/can't buy every cape/saddle, dubbing, bead, etc. in every style and color...My whole tying kit has probably costed me between $500 and $700 dollars (that's all inclusive...vise, tools, materials, desk (home built), storage, everything), you have to be creative when you're poor!

This hobby is worth it me because of the relaxation and satifaction I get from catching a fish on a fly I tied vs. bought. That said, I tie all my own flies, and have only bought flies only as appreciation for advice given at a fly shop.

I tie flies for everything from the smallest trickle of a creek to stillwater to open ocean saltwater stuff, all inside of that $500-$700. To answer your question...WORTH IT TO ME for way more than just money! 

Good thread!

Now that I've watched the video, I agree with most of what you said. As Poop said, fly tying need not be expensive. It can be if you want it to be. Agree with you about catching fish on a fly you created.

It's like golfing, hunting, night clubbing, etc., it's what you want to spend. To keep this post short, I agree with the previous posts.

I've been tying for over 50 years and, in that time, have crossed paths with some very fine fly tyers.  Also, for over 20 years I was a skill-based instructor/teacher.  I love passing on the knowledge I've aquired so someone else can fall in love with the hobby of fly tying.

Is it worth it?  I'm retired with time on my hands and fly tyings keeps me busy.  YES, it is worth it!  Besides, it helps keep my face from showing up on the post office walls!

Kim

53 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

To ... impress members of the opposite sex.  That one never works.

If only... LOL

I'm on board with most of what's been posted. 

Is it worth it - no doubt it is for me.  It's relaxing, I enjoy the creativity aspect of it more than anything.  I enjoy catching on a fly I tied, although that thrill really has taken a back seat nowadays.  I enjoy it more when someone else catches a fish on a fly I tied, as I enjoy tying for family and friends.   

Can you save money?  Sure, if you're are as disciplined as Mr. Deck.  Do I save money?  No, definitely not.  Saving money was the excuse I used to get started, even though in the back of my mind I knew that goal would never be realized.  On the other hand, it only has to be as expensive as you want it to be.  I'm similar to @hopperfisher in that respect.  Nearly all of my tying tools, and even some of my materials, are bought second hand, as is most of my fly fishing gear.  I also have no problem harvesting things myself, be it road kill or something someone shot.  

First thing I enjoy watching your videos Tim, keep up the good work. Can I save money tying? for me no, i have an addictive personality,  I'm one of those guys that likes having a bit of everything. So much more out there that I need to get ha, never ending. You can make it as cheap or expensive as one likes. Is it worth it? yes. its good for the mind and soul, keeps me out of trouble, watching the tube, etc. One of the most memorable things for me is hearing fishing story's of friends catching fish using a fly I tied, I just love that.

save_money_tying_flies.jpg

I tie flies because I enjoy tying flies

im retired with not much else to do

my dad recently passed away giving me more time to do things I enjoy but he is greatly missed 

i have an ample supply of materials (so what) so I’ll be tying for many years to come and will probably never save money by tying my own

Other folks waste a lot more money than I would on things that to me are totally irrelevant but it’s there money

Assuming an average price of only $2.00 per fly.  I've been fly fishing for the better part of 50 years, tying flies for 40 of them.  Average lost flies per year, approximately 2 dozen ... say an even 25.  $50.00 per year for 40 years = $2000.00 ... if I was buying those flies.  I've got about $600.00 in tying tools and materials for that entire time.

Yes, I can DEFINITELY say I've saved money by tying my own flies.  Like Poopdeck above, I tie for my fishing.  I don't tie for display or to see if I can do a particularly hard pattern or any reason like that.  I also tie for panfish and bass, so I don't need 6 different sizes of the same pattern to "match the hatch" or anything.

I get a moderate amount of enjoyment tying flies.  But again, I don't tie just to be tying.  I used to get some satisfaction knowing I was catching fish on my own patterns ... but that kind of wore off about 20 years ago.  When I do try a new pattern, I tie 6 or so.  I eventually lose them all to snags or fish.   I wouldn't tie a pattern a second time if I didn't get hits by the time the first batch disappeared to snags.  So, catching fish on my own flies is, of course, the only way, since I never buy or fish other people's flies.

It's just like any other hobby. If you enjoy doing it then it's worth it. If you're in it to save money then I think think your enjoyment might be limited, but to each their own...

I agree.  I know it didn't take to long.  I brought flies the first year I started.  Didn't have much luck with them.   I think what got me really going is one day I was fishing a local creek and the trout were rising to something.  I tried all the purchased midge patterns with no luck.  Toward the end of the day, when I retrieved my fly there was a bit of debris on it.  I looked and there a couple of midges caught on it.  I took the hook off and dropped it in the small container I carried in case I caught a couple of bugs.  When I go home I looked at them and realized I had the materials and the hooks to tie an imitation.  I'd just been introduced to CDC, mid-90's, and tied a midge pattern, using CDC for the body and the wing.  Next time I went out, I caught 6 trout with it.  It's been one of my top producing flies for 25 years.  I've caught fish on it throughout the NE and in Ontario.  It's been down hill ever since.  One thing I would add is catching a fish on fly you've tied and on a rod you've built adds a bit more to the feeling.

Have I saved money.  I tie on a relatively cheap vise.  I've got enough materials and I still keep buying them.  I buy hooks thread and to be honest I've no idea what I spent.  I find fly tying relaxing, almost like meditation.  It certainly helped me keep my sanity during the lockdown.  It allows me to be creative, even off-the-wall creative.  Over the years I've simplified my trout flies, no split wings.  I don't do woven flies,  I went through a deer hair stage, found it to messy and that I was OCD when it came to trimming them.

I'm wandering now.   So yeah, it's worth it.

4 hours ago, upnorthtier said:

First thing I enjoy watching your videos Tim, keep up the good work. Can I save money tying? for me no, i have an addictive personality,  I'm one of those guys that likes having a bit of everything. So much more out there that I need to get ha, never ending. You can make it as cheap or expensive as one likes. Is it worth it? yes. its good for the mind and soul, keeps me out of trouble, watching the tube, etc. One of the most memorable things for me is hearing fishing story's of friends catching fish using a fly I tied, I just love that.

Appreciate the kind words. This video was a fun one to make, though I've reflected further since it was filmed. I also want to add that nearly everything else fades away when I tie...but I allow for my creativity to kick in. Plus when I've at the vise, I bring myself back to specific situations on the water and work through them with the flies I'm tying. It's tough to imagine fly fishing without this component, thus it has truly strengthened my connection to the outdoors.

Tim

As some have already said, people tie flies for different reasons. I have not tied a fly out of necessity for several years, but I have tied dozens of dozens because I enjoy it.  The patterns I typically tie are not overly complicated and the materials are not that expensive.  Over the years I have traded with others and as a result have a lot of feathers/materials.  I still use the whip finisher  that came with my fly tying kit from 20 years ago.  Do I save money?  No, I don;t think so.  I budget a small amount for "stuff" each year and I don't lose that many flies.  Is it worth it?  To me it is ..... like most any hobby there is a cost ..... but the peace tying provides for me as I'm winding down some days is priceless.