Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chasing_Tails

2021 PA Steelhead trip

Headed up to Pennsylvania for the week of Thanksgiving and was able to get out on the water for a day of chasing steelhead. Ended up fishing Elk Creek. Air temps were cold at 25 degrees but thankfully the wind that was forecast for the day never materialized. Had some snowfall during the day, but not bad conditions overall. Water was at a moderate level with just a bit of color.

Rig for the day was a standard dual nymph rig on a 7wt. under an indicator with various colors of rubberleg stoneflies and an egg fly. Took a bit of time to find some productive holes but then ended up going 4 for 5 out of a single run. Sizes were average in the low to mid 20" range. The water temp was definitely down and the fish were a bit lethargic, but not impossible.

IMG_6234.jpg.5efe407e27b959db804a9cabb6ca0136.jpg

DDA4AC32-DDE5-472C-BD7C-A24B46DE1AD8.JPEG.7c2bc916ce97a94a1b17a9c1a6c1dd8a.JPEG

This boy had been in the creek for a while...

11ADCB64-86FF-42BE-B1FE-4EDCA9186EAE.JPEG.33e6937f8799a6cc5c3493712322672b.JPEG

Nice holiday trip!  Having lived in PA my entire life I have no excuse for not hitting Elk creek for steelhead at least one time. It’s seems to always be on the list though. 

I was born and raised about 30 miles east of Pittsburgh and fly fishing since I was 12, but mostly warmwater. Never went up there and left when I was 18 for college. Can't make up for the lost time fully, but I sure will try from now on any time I visit. 

Elk is a beautiful creek to fish. I am not one for combat fishing and it definitely does not get the pressure that is found on Walnut. I fished the same area last year and was quite successful as well. Didn't see quite as many fish this year as last, but I definitely couldn't complain.

Although I’ve never been there I hear the crowds go away during winter steelhead. I’m not doing the  combat fishing for salmon, no way. Winter steelhead and brown trout I could do.