Body – Flat gold tinsel

Throat – Orange hackle fibers

Wing – Fox squirrel tail

Michael Jensen Fly Pattern

Hollywood’s Claret Octopus (variation)

51786743932_06ac3980d1_c.jpg

51788433190_7e34a5715d_c.jpg

51786743837_f3be225d0f_c.jpg

A few minor changes to the  original, mainly in type of shoulder feathers used - the pheasant rump was a bit more manageable than a gp body feather (actually, with the thinner stem on the ring neck rump, I left myself a bit too much room up front) and the hen saddle (which I have a lot of that needs to get used) worked well enough.

hook - WFF Model 6 #10
thread - Uni 8/0 red
tail - yarn flame
rib - small wire silver
body - dubbing claret heather
body hackles - dyed claret (1 Tbs Rit Wine/1 cup water)
1st shoulder(s) - bleached pheasant rump dyed deep red (1Tbs Rit Scarlet, 1 Tsp Rit Golden Yellow/4 cups water)
2nd shoulder - hen grizzly saddle dyed Silver Doctor Blue (2 packs Koolaid Ice Blue Raspberry/1 cup water)

Regards,
Scott

Still working on getting the Goddard caddis down. Goddard number 10? I actually started cutting the bad ones off the hook. I usually fish everything regardless of looks but I ran out of standard 14 size hooks and I really want to get this down. Switched to coastal deer hair. So far so good.

A77A0121-2527-46B2-BCAB-0A6A8025400D.jpeg

4 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Still working on getting the Goddard caddis down. Goddard number 10? I actually started cutting the bad ones off the hook. I usually fish everything regardless of looks but I ran out of standard 14 size hooks and I really want to get this down. Switched to coastal deer hair. So far so good.

A77A0121-2527-46B2-BCAB-0A6A8025400D.jpeg

These are nice, I'm going to try some. What did you find the coastal deer did for you?

After learning a few lessons through trial and error I found it easier to work with. My early problems were one of proportion and packing. I was trying to tie in to much material. All I can say is anybody describing the amount of hair as a diameter of a pencil uses different pencils than I. I think about a third or less of a pencil diameter (pencils I’m familiar with) is plenty for a size 14 hook. I also like 6/0 uni for tying in the deer hair. I like that it’s not as slippery so your less apt to push the hair down into the hook bend. Also, I learned there’s no need to “pack” the deer hair like you would for bass bugs. Pretty much just spin it and trim it with only a light push. 

Thanks Niveker.

Baitfish

Hook: #4 Firehole

Tail: BT White

Belly & Overwing: Icelandic Sheep natural white & brown

Overwing: Mountain Goat Dyed Kingfisher Blue

Flash: Crystal flash & Flashabou

24BB8C09-32B8-4752-84A4-C6E9B90C421C.jpeg

8BBBBC9D-94F5-4BFF-A5A0-59C63A061AC8.jpeg

On 12/28/2021 at 2:13 PM, flytire said:

EZY Prince

I like that, Norm.  I've never had much luck with the traditional style, I think I'll try a few of those. 

14 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

After learning a few lessons through trial and error I found it easier to work with. My early problems were one of proportion and packing. I was trying to tie in to much material. All I can say is anybody describing the amount of hair as a diameter of a pencil uses different pencils than I. I think about a third or less of a pencil diameter (pencils I’m familiar with) is plenty for a size 14 hook. I also like 6/0 uni for tying in the deer hair. I like that it’s not as slippery so your less apt to push the hair down into the hook bend. Also, I learned there’s no need to “pack” the deer hair like you would for bass bugs. Pretty much just spin it and trim it with only a light push. 

I pack my Goddards as tightly as I can (using caribou makes it much easier on #12’s and smaller) but even just spun and trimmed they float well enough and as long as they’re on the water somewhere, they catch fish.

Regards,
Scott