Fly Tying
David 82nd

Anybody from Maine

Hey guys with such a large group of likeminded guys here i was wondering if there is anybody here that lives in maine ? 

Many reasons to ask ,lol 

Not from there but after watching North Woods Law, wish I had migrated to ME or NH years ago. Beautiful country. Spend a few days in Waterville Valley, NH. Had to watch for moose crossing the road.

From what im seeing its an amazingly Beautiful state , not to crazy about NH ...but we are thinking of buying up in maine 

Been there twice. Lovely state, especially the coastal region. There is some seriously good Sea Duck hunting there. I enjoyed duck hunting and stopping by a Lobster Boat on the way in and picking my Lobster for dinner that night.

Dave 82nd,

You are talking about my home state. Born and raised here. Moved away in the early 80's and moved back in the late 90's. 

What kind of questions do you have?

Michael

David I'm a resident of Massachusetts, but did marry a girl whos mother and father are from Maine.  I have been through the state many times both for work and pleasure.  When most people think of Maine they think of the "Down East" area which is the South Eastern and coastal areas of the state.  The Maine coast is stunning, rugged, cold and looks just like every post card photo you've ever seen.  The coast line is dotted with working fishing towns.  Portland is inexpensive (for a city) and has some of the best restaurants anywhere in the country.  Inland Maine is rural, turning to extremely rural further you get from the South East coast.  In places you can drive for hours without passing anything.  Paradise if you love remote North woods.   The fishing in these locations is fantastic.   The state is beautiful and largely unspoiled.  A more focused point to consider is that there isn't a lot of industry in the state.  Maine heavily depends on tourism and that includes the dollars from sportsman who travel there the hunt and fish.  The state is very pro hunting, camping, fishing and is quick to drop the hammer on groups, individuals, proposals to restrict the outdoor sports. 

That sounds great. Thanks for sharing.  Wife and i are considering the move ,theres not much to sway us from all weve been hearing.  

It's beautiful and rural, for sure, and a sportsman's paradise. All sorts of freshwater fishing, from brook trout and landlocked salmon to bass fishing in the streams, rivers, ponds, and lakes. And the state values sport tourism (hunting, fishing). Land away from the coast is inexpensive, except for a few tourist-centered areas. And the state is large, very large, and only one Interstate highway (and a few spur routes near Portland). Takes as much time to go from Kittery to Fort Kent, as the drive from Kittery to Philadelphia, PA.  That being said there are a few things you should know:

• There is a state income tax applied to ALL household members if ANY live or work in Maine, including if you reside out of state. 
  • Not much in the way of state services
  • Lots of rural poverty
  • A few cities (all the cities are relatively small) have crime problems.

From Mass here, but have family in Maine, a few near Portland, some inland and bit further north.  Its lacks nothing if you're an outdoors activity  type person.  And its beautiful.  When I'm up there, no matter how long its been since I've visited last, I always wonder why I didn't go up sooner.  I can't speak to the cities, as I have no interest in going to them.  Give me a good old dirty New England mill town any day, there are a few of those.  Winters are a bit tough, though, I would not live there year round.  

ive been up there a couple of times (ll bean in freeport) but cant say i'd want to live there

my brother had a mobile home in bingham. he only went there in winter for riding snow mobiles